HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Crappie dock and the No Crappie dock

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Crappie dock and the No Crappie dock

Some docks hold crappie well in the winter around north Texas and some don't . There seem to be multiple reasons and or factors involved ,but in the end as is the case most of the time it is all about bait fish in the area .
    So I went to visit a crappie dock before daylight on Sunday and sort of thought I might be able to ketch a few before church . Sure enough some crappie were in the area and I found a fat bluegill as a first fish in the dark and my second fish was sure enough a small crappie .
    Well as it seems to be the case most of the time the "bite window" hadn't changed much and that was it until around first light as they came thru under the enclosed dock pretty good for about an hour following the bait headed back out to the lake . Not lots of large crappie but pretty fair numbers wise and I managed to ketch about 20 or so with a few being keepers that I donated to some fellas 5 gallon bucket .
    The fish wanted a blue and kinda green plastic bait for the most part and when they quit biting I changed over to an old feather jig in black and silver . One of my best crappie slammed it first drop and then it was bleak , not another peck .....until ....
    I was leaving and walked out for a final pitch on a No Crappie dock and first pitch I got hammered ! And when I set the hook I said to man beside me bass fishing THIS is NO crappie as my reel light up and sang like a warbler . Well a terrible fight ensued and my little shimano hit notes she has never sang . My 6 foot ultralite Tica just bent over hard and a crowd gathered . The crowd was tossing guesses and I was not sure what the heck it was other than large ! Some said flathead ,some said bass and as the fight continued the experienced bass person said it isn't a bass or it would have come up by now .I agreed and he ran for a net as I saw a swirl and said we are about to see the fish yawl . Sure enough a large flash of silver made me think buffalo and then low and behold next time up on top the dock monster reared its ugly head ....
    So last fish of the day was really upset Drum that was jim dandy for sure and to top of this here fishy story it bit the fire out of my thumb as well .....
    so you see there is such a thing as NO Crappie Dock .....
    stay tuned yawl but don't stay thirsty ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes scrat, hdhntr, S10CHEVY, ad1974, Slab, gravelman6, 4lber LIKED above post
    Thanks wolfhnd thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great catch, great story. I'm going to cancel my Field & Stream. lol
    Likes Redge, 4lber LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great pictures and post as usual.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Great read!

Post Thanks / Like

Good pics, and recognize the thumb as have had one like that before, lol!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Super show, Many thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I love a good drum fight once in a while they have some shoulders and are a lot of fun. good you were able to get out and Ketch a few before daylight and church. This is best Physical Therapy for you after your recent health scare Outlaw! GFY
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great story and great pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good time,nice catch.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice post, thanks for taking the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast