Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: My crankbait starter kit and a few questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My crankbait starter kit and a few questions.

I have 16 Bandit 200's and 12 Bandit 300's for my starter kit. I've never thrown or pulled crankbaits before so I'm going by what I've seen in videos, read in books, and most importantly, learned from reading threads here at Crappie.com. Many of the cranks I've bought were based on your recommendations.

I've learned that most don't pull cranks until the water temp is over 70, do you agree? Have around 200' of line out and go around 2mph, once again do you agree? I'm open to learn from those of you with experience, please feel free to give me any pointers you think will help. I will probably pull a few on Saturday just to get some idea of what it's like.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You can troll cranks any time of year. It seems to be more productive when the water temp is at least 65. I usually use 10# line and troll between 1 and 2 mph with 100 feet or so of line out. Sometimes more sometimes less. Great way to fish. Good looking selection tap. Good Luck. Speck

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Want to get rid of that kit, looks GREAT? I have had most of my luck in say, 10 to 16 FOW with 75-100 feet of 10 lb line out. My speed is between 1.2 and 1.8 or so, hear you can increase your speed in the summer, about all I can get is 2.0 MPH. I just started this fall and have been able to catch SOME anytime I trolled CB's. A old timer like myself told me the only time he doesn't troll CB's is during the spawn due to too many boats on the water. I caught some nice ones in the winter this year, not many but better than average on jigs sizewise. Now I live in MS and don't know about VA. Good luck.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that IS a good selection! I see all my favorites and then some.
    Ditto on what the guys said on temp and speed - 1.7 is a common speed
    for me. Of course the GPS will fluctuate some, but I'm averaging what it
    says. Have caught them in 42 deg, but a lot more often in 60+
    I usually don't run near as much line out as it looks like some do -
    at times I may be running a 300 on as little as 20' of line, according to
    how deep I want. I try to avoid more than 100', more time for the hooks
    to pull out, if you know what I mean. A neat toy if you have a line-counter
    is a book called precision trolling, I got the 8th edition awhile back.
    I resisted buying one for a long time, but am so glad I did. Lots more to it
    than just how deep a lure will run, they get all into the the hows and whys
    of stuff, if you like that sort of thing (I do :D )

p.s. the one in the upper right of pic - if you like catching cats, try trolling that up and down rip-rap when
    the cats are spawning. They seem to LOVE that color! mostly channels, but a blue or flathead now and then.
    Last edited by J White; 03-15-2007 at 05:45 PM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I use 12 pound line (because I want my crank bait back if it gets stuck and becasue you will occasionally catch a big Thug 5 to 10 pounds). I put 50 to 100 feet back, troll 1 - 1.5 MPH. Definately seem to bite best in warmer water.

Best advice I can give you is to get a lure plug (one of those things that you hook onto your line and it runs down to get your stuck crank off the brush pile). They work great and because of them I have never lost a crank.