Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

View Poll Results: What should Ed do about the Off Topic Board?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it open and exactly the way it is.

26 37.68%
  • Leave it open and use a heavy hand to stop personal attacks.

26 37.68%
  • Close the board and get rid of it forever.

5 7.25%
  • I don't give a darn, I just want to talk Crappie Fishing here on the main board.

12 17.39%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm temped to remove the Off Topic Board - Please vote

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm temped to remove the Off Topic Board - Please vote

I think this site has made many new friends since it inception. And that's really what I want the site to be about. But I’m seeing a change, and it has a lot to do with the Off Topic conversation on the Off Topic board. So I’m thinking that maybe I need to get rid of the Off Topic Board all together. Or maybe I just need to maintain a heavy hand and get rid of “anything resembling” a personal attack. Seems some posts walk a very fine line, and I’ve been very “free speech” about not editing posts. So here’s a poll for you all. Please share your opinion with a vote.
    Last edited by Slab; 01-23-2005 at 10:25 PM.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Default your the man Ed

Even if you get rid of the off topic. It will just drag itself into the normal fishing forum sooner or later. I personally think you are doing a fine job
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Ed....I think you are doing things, just the way you should right now.....Rick

Post Thanks / Like

PITPP is right Ed. Before the OT board, it was posted on the main forum. I say leave as is.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with the above. I think you have the right ideas and there will always be those few who like to attack and those who are super sensitive about what is said about ot to them. Hard to communicate teasing on puter.

Keep up the good job.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Ed just remove the personal attack posts and keep the offtopic thread.

My 2 cents.

Do whatever works best for you.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default can't please everyone

No matter what you do, someone is going to think you are taking sides so I say edit anything that even resembles a personal attack. Some people might see one thing as a personal attack while another might not. To avoid the perception of taking one persons side or the other, just delete the post. Some people have thick skin, some don't.

In addition, I wouldn't really want to allow someone to make a post that incites others to fuss and argue.

I'm all for heavy handedness. This is not a public board. It is a members board that is controlled by you.

My two cents anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up off topic board

With the limited time that I've been on this board...I think you are doing a fine job...It seems that some of the stand-up people on this board keep those that stray off topic or snipe at others in line..My suggestion to those that can't stand the heat......Get out of the kitchen..so to speak----several other cliche's also apply too numerous to mention---see !! there I go getting off-topic..lol :D this board is like life not everybody is right all the time nor is everyone happy all the time... Try to live the golden rule..treat everyone as you would want to be treated...can't we all just get along?????...or at least try..just my 2cents.
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

I think the OT forum is a good thing, but as ed mentioned, there have been a few personal attacks since its beginning. To some, it may not seem personal, especially to those that are turning the thumbscrews. If it cannot be stopped, then it should be deleted. This is too great a site to be divided among it's members. I'm gratefull to ed for installing the OT, and the only request he put forward was "no personal attacks, please." I don't think it's too big a deal to comply with. If it is used properly, wonderful! If not, let's get rid of it. We can all see it coming when it starts, that's when it should be stopped, right then, not over a stretch of several days. Think about it like this: if you were a prospective member browsing this site, how would you react to opening a thread and seeing some of the worst posts? Membership is the sustaining factor in this website. Our sponsors are here because they can see the growth in our membership and the obvious sharing of information and good will among us, certainly not dissention and what seems to most of us to be mal intent. If it were up to me, as much as I love this site, I would take any measure necessary to prevent it's falling thru the cracks. Word!!
    Well, thats my take, and I'm stickin' to it!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Get rid of it

I say get rid of it. Do we need jokes like the last one posted that our children could see while visiting crappie.com? Just because it's off topic or there's a warning doesn't mean it's not available for children to see. There's lots of other sites to post off topic or jokes, let's keep this a clean and happy crappie fisherman site. Of course, most of all, you Ed, have to be happy with how things are going, it's your site.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast