HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinion on rods

Has anyone used or is anyone using the Uncle Bucks crappie poles? I order me a set of 4-10fts to give spider rigging and long lineing a try. Ive mainly always fished for crappie under docks and bridge pillars casting and let sink then retrieve with 4.5-5ft microspins. I was just wandering if some of you more experinced guys had an opinion about them?

Sent from my LGL164VL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used the uncle bucks for spider rigging I use 14 ft BnM pst spider rigging and bgjp 12 and 10 for long lining. I also use Sam Heaton 12 ft for long lining. You should do fine with them and I think you will like them IMO.
    Likes CrappieHuntMike LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They'd better be the "Deluxe" (guides/reel seat) version.

10' rods are "usable" for Spider Rigging, but IMHO they are not "optimal" ... because they don't always have the length necessary to reach out very far past the trolling motor on many boat bow designs and the placement of the rod holders. That's why 14' & 16' rods are so popular for this fishing method.
    Long Line Trolling ... they should work OK ... but you'd still want some shorter or longer rods in the mix, so as to have separation between the lines (if you use them from the front or sides of the boat). If you're just going to use them out the back, or just use the 4 of them, you should be OK.

I'm basing this on my experiences of starting out with 10' rods for Spider Rigging ... then for Pushing. That experience prompted me to purchase three 14' rods, most especially for Pushing jigs or cranks. That also allowed me to utilize the 10' rods whenever I wanted to spread my lines and when I wanted to use more than 3 rods at one time. (as shown in this picture)

Name:  20170801_131357.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  107.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    They'd better be the "Deluxe" (guides/reel seat) version.

10' rods are "usable" for Spider Rigging, but IMHO they are not "optimal" ... because they don't always have the length necessary to reach out very far past the trolling motor on many boat bow designs and the placement of the rod holders. That's why 14' & 16' rods are so popular for this fishing method.
    Long Line Trolling ... they should work OK ... but you'd still want some shorter or longer rods in the mix, so as to have separation between the lines (if you use them from the front or sides of the boat). If you're just going to use them out the back, or just use the 4 of them, you should be OK.

I'm basing this on my experiences of starting out with 10' rods for Spider Rigging ... then for Pushing. That experience prompted me to purchase three 14' rods, most especially for Pushing jigs or cranks. That also allowed me to utilize the 10' rods whenever I wanted to spread my lines and when I wanted to use more than 3 rods at one time. (as shown in this picture)

Name:  20170801_131357.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  107.5 KB
    Yes they are the deluxe ones that have guides and reel seats. I picked up 5 zebco zse20 spin reels from walmart and put one on a 6' graphite rod. Ive used it once and was very pleased on its performance considering they are only $10 each. I should have them today. I also plan to pick up 2 @ 13-14 ft. If im fishing off the front ill run the 13-14s in middle and straight out front and my 10s more out towards the sides. If off the back it will be my 2- 4.5ft microspins in middle straight out and one 10ft off each side.( more for pulling or trolling).

Also, the first thing i did to the reels was stripped the crap line off that comes on them and replaced with 6lb. MR. Crappie Hi-vis. Ive seen mixed reveiws of this line but id already purchased it before i joined and plus i didnt wanna go to high end just starting with this and all.

I just bought my first jon boat about a year ago and fixed it up myself. Kinda left it open concept because i want to do all kinds of fishing but crappie fishing is rembered to be be the funnest lol. So i made my own t-bars , bought a few rods and say imma try some new techniques.

Ill post a few pics of my boat so you can see what i put together.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah ... I strip the line from any reel that comes pre-spooled, too. Even if it's labeled as "Stren", which is pretty good line, it always seems to be a higher pound test than what I normally use.

Many negative reviews of the Mr Crappie hi-vis line may have come from those that used the line before manufacturing was moved to Taiwan ... but the spool I have (USA made) of 4lb test is still good line, I've just moved up to 6lb test. I'm currently using Vicious Panfish copoly 6lb test and am well pleased with it. But ... when it comes to reviews, you're not likely to ever get 100% positive reviews on anything related to fishing.

Sounds like you've got a good game plan going, so get'r done & post pics and reports whenever you like ... we'll be right here !!

Post Thanks / Like

This is what ive done with my spare time.Name:  1203171002.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  148.0 KBName:  1203171002a.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  126.6 KBName:  1203171004.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  111.7 KBName:  1203171015.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  143.7 KBName:  1203171003.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  190.5 KBName:  1203171003a.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  176.9 KBName:  1203171015a.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  132.2 KB

Likes TerryD, ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Im still gotta come up with something for organization of rods.

Post Thanks / Like

These t-bars i made myself. They are adjustable in height from 12"-20" and can be locked down in any direction 360°. I also made the holders. I have 12 in all 3 for each t-bar. They are also very adjustable. Fishing on a budget lol

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When fishing on a budget you have to do what you have to do. What you got so far looks good.
    Thanks CrappieHuntMike thanked you for this post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll say this, when I first started no one back then would tell or teach you anything about spider rigging around here. Now that was a lot of years ago. I started with 4 10 ft poles like yours. I caught a lot of fish with them so don't let anyone discourage you. You have to do what you have to do. The only thing is make sure you got a good net cause you ain't horsing big fish in with them. Yes all these fancier longer poles help and I got a shop full to chose from. But starting out use what you can afford and learn how. If you figure out those poles then any step up would be a big plus. Main thing is getting out there.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast