Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: new member and spawn question

Post Thanks / Like

Question new member and spawn question

Hi all! I am a new member and am looking to catch a few sac-a-lait this spring. Do any of you have suggestions on good sac-a-lait lakes near Ferriday? I have caught a few sac-a-lait while fly fishing for bream and bass but would like to catch a mess of sac-a-lait for the freezer this spring.

I would also like to know if y'all can give me some idea of when to expect the spawn this spring. What kind of indicators do you use to know when the fish are spawning and to find them?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Kevin Smith
    Ferriday, LA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kjsmith97
    Hi all! I am a new member and am looking to catch a few sac-a-lait this spring. Do any of you have suggestions on good sac-a-lait lakes near Ferriday? I have caught a few sac-a-lait while fly fishing for bream and bass but would like to catch a mess of sac-a-lait for the freezer this spring.

I would also like to know if y'all can give me some idea of when to expect the spawn this spring. What kind of indicators do you use to know when the fish are spawning and to find them?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Kevin Smith
    Ferriday, LA
    Hello, Kevin......welcome to crappie.com and the LA board. Can't help you too much on the best lake since I'm from N.LA, but as a general rule I go by the temperature. Look for the males to start stageing in at around 65 +/- degrees, maybe even a bit warmer. You can usually determine the spawning depth fairly accurately by lowering a white lure untill it disappears from sight. At the point it disappears, say 4 or 5 ft., then find that depth with some cover (brush, stumps, structure, etc.). The clearer the water, usually the deeper they will spawn, stained or muddy water the opposite. As for the general location, find a flat close to deeper water with the structure mentioned above at the depth they should spawn. That's a good starting place if you have never fished the lake. If the water temp rises and still no action, ease out to the first drop-off and give 'em a try. Weather is very important, if a cold front hits, again look deeper but close. Some of the guys in your area will be of help too, and may even have fished your lake of choice. Right now, they're probably cleaning their fish, maybe even frying them up. :D Best of luck, Kevin, you'll be getting some local help soon. Man, I can almost smell that hot oil cookin'!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome onboard, Kevin. I live on Black River Lake at Eva. I'm happy to have a neighbor on here, at last. I believe that Tew Lake, just north of Jonesville, is the first local lake to see spawning action. Of course depending on how early the warm days start up, this lake has historically started seeing shallow spawning fish around the middle of February. On Black River Lake, at this same time, they will be staging just off the bank, at 4' to 6' in 12' or so water depth. I've had better success, fishing BRL before and after the spawn, rather than during it. On BRL, 12' of water will be pretty close to the bank. About the middle of March, find the small flats, near the bank. They will be quite small and scattered, since BRL is a deep lake, with steep banks. The water is usually very muddy in the Spring and the spawning fish will be so close to the bank, you may see their dorsal fins sticking out of the water. Larto is another good lake that is not affected by Mississippi River. Fish it year round when it is so windy (within reason of course) you wouldn't normally want to fish. I've never had much luck on St John or Concordia during spawning season. Horseshoe Lake, toward the end of February and beginning of March, is an excellent place to tie up your boat and wade the buck willows for spawning Sac a lait. Keep your eyes open for gators while towing that string of fish (gator bait) behind you.---Pooch

beerluvr99 Guest

Default Turkey Creek

Turkey Creek produces some nice slabs. I have fished it only a few times but have had great results. I am from around Columbia, if you want to venture out a bit Lafouche is always a good place to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Beerluvr

I too am from around Columbia...in fact...i live ON Lake LaFouche.

Welcome to the board..i am new here too.

I look forward to your reports.

Mack
    " I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they killed, there would be no more war. " Abbie Hoffman