HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report; 2017 Review & Summary

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report; 2017 Review & Summary

Walt & I decided to "pull the plug" today. Air temps are not going up over the 40 degree high for the day. Nights are near or below freezing. Went for a drive around to check out some shorelines and everything pretty much has skim ice from shore out to about 50'. Time to call it on the 2017 season. Here's a shot of our "small" boat put to bed:

Name:  I2017_Bed.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  163.2 KB

This season got off to a bad start for us, with medical problems for both Walt, myself and the family. Stayed cold and rainy to start with too. We didn't even wet the small boat from ice out until we put the big rig in at the Quabbin. That didn't happen until June! That's very late start for us.

The summer became brutally hot quickly, with thunderstorms and high winds on most days. Some weeks we did manage to get out 2 or 3 times, but the norm was less, with stretches where we just could not fish at all. I'm not complaining mind you. Faced with more obstacles than normal, we still did very well overall.

Here's a summary of catch & releases for 2017:

Smallmouth Bass 5
    Largemouth Bass 8
    Crappie 553
    Lake Trout 6
    Rainbow Trout 8
    Bluegill 168
    Yellow Perch 27
    White Perch 2
    Pickeral 5
    Pike 2
    Bullhead 1
    Dace 1
    ________

Grand Total: 786 fish

Now those are just the fish we CPR'd over the gunnels of our boats. Didn't keep a count of fish caught & released from shore. So, overall we had a good season. Now all we have to do is survive the next 3 MONTHS without being able to wet a line! We really envy you folks down south with fishing opportunities year round. I'll be watching, learning and drooling every day! LOL!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Thanks Slab thanked you for this post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Even with the set backs you guys had a very good fishing year. I always enjoy reading your reports and looking at the pictures. Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas and a better year next year.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Great summary, thanks for sharing. And try to stay warm. Brrr

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Rich's post left out that we only were able to get out 26 times this season. 23 Trips for Crappie, 2 for Lakers, 1 for Smallmouth.
    Last year (2016) we were able to get out for 37 trips with a Crappie catch & release total of 1,262. In the year before (2015) we were able to get out 35 trips with a Crappie catch & release total of 973.
    All & all, the season was too short but we did fairly well considering the problems we had.
    Wishing all of you Tight Lines.
    Walt
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

G summed it up very well! I really enjoy your reports, and pictures!!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!