Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Braided Line

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's Your Favorite Braided Line

and what lb test do you buy? Where are the best deals for line of your type?

Post Thanks / Like

1 lb. powerpro. Walmart.

Post Thanks / Like

Power Pro 2#-65# Bass Pro, Wally world Use it from jiggin to casting and trolling also salt water.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Jhaiken .........

Quote Originally Posted by jhaiken
    and what lb test do you buy? Where are the best deals for line of your type?
    I use PowerPro. Have the 8/1 (Moss Green) and 10/2 (Hi-vis Yellow) .... prefer the 10/2 (10lb test - 2lb mono diameter equivalent) hi-vis yellow version. Mostly, I use it to cast Roadrunners with ... but, I'm not above putting a jig on it and casting or shooting docks with it. My Shimano Spirex 2000 is spooled with the same PP I put on 1.5yrs ago. For this upcoming season, I took the line off and turned it around ... since it had faded to a dull yellow. The "dull" section is still far more visible than clear/blue mono's ... but, I still wanted the "newer" hi-vis coloration. "Dull" section is still as strong as it was, when I first put it on ... I just wanted a little brighter line.

A 150yd spool from Cabelas, ran me about $15-$17 shipped. That will fill 3-5 reels, depending on spool capacity (and amount of mono backing used). And, it should last for many years to come.

There's only been two minor downsides, that I've discovered. Wind knots do occur, because the line is so thin and limp (but they can usually be simply pulled out). There are circumstances where the line will make a noise, when coming thru the guides ... a "buzzing" sound. It's most noticable on metal guides ... barely noticable on ceramic ones.

It will, of course, cut you good ... if you attempt to use bare hands, when pulling against it. Best bet is to have something to wrap the line around, to pull your line/lure free from snags. Also, a very good product to have on hand, for cutting PowerPro ... is a small pair of Children's Fiskar Scissors (or equivalent). A sharp knife "will" cut it ... but, tends to leave fibres on the tag end, which makes it a bit more difficult to thread thru small hook eyes. The scissors cut it clean, and it's a whole lot easier to thread.

It's "no stretch" quality will require you to do some things. First thing I'd suggest -- ease back on the reel's drag. Second thing would be to ease back on the "hookset" :D Even with a fairly soft action rod, you can still just set the hook with a wrist jerk. I use mine on a 6ft m/h action rod ... and, when casting a RR, I don't even bother to "set the hook" I just pull back on the rod, and keep reeling. When casting a jig, or dock shooting with PowerPro ... when I detect a strike, I just raise/lift the rod (and don't forget, I'm using a weedless jighead, on 95% of those occasions).

I tie my RR's/jigs, on the PowerPro, with a Improved Clinch Knot. I have yet to have the knot slip, or have the line break at the knot. I've even straightened out Roadrunner hooks, when pulling them free from snags.

PowerPro can be purchased in Moss Green (lo-vis) - Yellow (hi-vis) - Red - White. I don't know what pound tests can be purchased in those colors, though. I'm satisfied with the Yellow 10/2

......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I like the new Ultra Cast by Spider wire I use 15/4 size in the hi vis yellow

Post Thanks / Like

I use Power Pro 10# Hi-Vis Yellow. I have also tried the new lines like Ultra Cast Spider Wire (claims to be the best made yet) and Fire Line Crystal and the worst for me was the Ultra Cast as it still digs in to the line on the spool every time you get hung up and pull on the line to get loose. The Crystal I have not used much yet, but I think it will come in 2nd to Power Pro. I really hate when the ling digs in to the spool line.

Power Pro is king here!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Powerpro 10/2 Hi-vis yellow or white, I dont think color of line has any affect on fishing. Unless you fish a super clear lake.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone is on the powerpro band wagon, work at bass pro part time and all the pro's I see buy sufix.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the sufix and didnt like it i am a pp user.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    I took the line off and turned it around ... since it had faded to a dull yellow. The "dull" section is still far more visible than clear/blue mono's ... but, I still wanted the "newer" hi-vis coloration. "Dull" section is still as strong as it was, when I first put it on ... I just wanted a little brighter line.
    I use Fire line and have had the same thing happen to me.......... I use a Highlighter to refresh the color.
    Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast