HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tying on jigs

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tying on jigs

I have always (50 yrs) been tying the jig head with a tight knot at the top of the eye. This keeps the jig hanging horizontal for a more natural profile. Lately I have noticed that people are using a loop knot. Does this not let it hang unnatural in the water? What's up with this?
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My opinion is all I can give. I always tie a tight knot and keep the jig horizontal. Never seen anything swimming while pointed uphill in nature. I also have to say that I mostly deadstick or "pitch and glide" back to me. I pull the line back toward the hook point. Others will chime in with their opinion, I'm sure.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes silverside LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I always tie an Improved Clinch knot to the jig (or a regular hook) ... but I do use loop knots on my leaders where they connect to the main line (but that's simply for convenience).

Loop knots are being used to allow the jig to hang "naturally" (horizontally) when being retrieved or when a vertical presentation is used ... with the idea that a tight knot on the jig eye would not "slip" as the jig changes direction (when casting) or would be "off center" when fished vertically, causing the jig to be at an angle (or in an un-natural position). All of that is based on the assumption that a jig will hang horizontally ... balanced, if you will, by the weight of the jig against the line connection to the top center of the jig eye. That isn't "always" the case IMHO .... but it is sound reasoning, most of the time. The size of the hook, density and/or length of the plastics attached, or even the style of the jig vs the weight of the lead head of the jig can alter that balance.

I, personally, just have more faith in the Improved Clinch than I do in a Loop Knot, as far as the breaking point @ the knot. I've had too many instances where when Pushing jigs & getting hung, I've had the leader break at the knot & I retrieve nothing but the "loop" still attached to the duo lock clip. Rarely have I broken off a jig tied with the Improved Clinch, where I came back with any portion of the knot or an indication of the knot on the empty tag end. I've also noted how the jig swims thru the water, when tied with the Improved Clinch knot ... in the conditions of very clear water (>3ft visibility). The line is generally in an elongated reverse ~ shape .... coming down from the rod tip, then leveling off about midways, then dropping towards the jig (due to the weight of the jig vs the resistance of the line against the water). This basically puts the jig in a slightly head forward diving position or a near level horizontal position ... depending on the speed of the retrieve ... both of which are "natural" positions of a fleeing prey species.

That being said ... like so many other things/factors in the world of Crappie fishing ... a lot of the time it boils down to personal preference and/or confidence, since the results are usually nearly equal in the outcome : ie - the fish bites the lure.

It's a lot like the difference in how I tie my jig on & how one of my fishing partners ties his on : I cut the tag down close to the knot, my partner does not & may have as much as a 3" tag sticking out. We're both using the same hi-vis line & the same knot. He often gets just as many hits, or catches just as many fish (or more). IMHO ... if the hi-vis line was a deterrent to a fish biting our lures, or the presence of that extra piece of line (representing a loop knot, sort of) was a factor in him not getting hits, or the position of our jigs wasn't "natural" due to being tied on with a Improved Clinch knot ... then we wouldn't be catching many fish. We have, we do, and we will continue to do so.
    Likes silverside, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Loop knot for me, they have a little more natural movement when vertical jigging and I don't have to keep centering a tight knot on the eye constantly. Whatever your confident in is the best choice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    ProCraft 180 / Mercury 150 XR4
    Water Moccasin pirogue / Motorguide 54#
    Likes silverside, skeetbum, coldneck1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Use a swimming pool if you can and look at the difference between the two.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

Post Thanks / Like

Clinch knot for me as well. Loop knots for spider rigging.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes silverside LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I been using a cinch knot for 40 years. The only other knot I tie is a nanofil not when using nanofil line. That stuff is super slick and will slip with a cinch knot every time.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
    I been using a cinch knot for 40 years. The only other knot I tie is a nanofil not when using nanofil line. That stuff is super slick and will slip with a cinch knot every time.
    I had the same problem with PowerPro braid, when it was new. I just tied the Improved Clinch with a extra long tag and then tied a double overhand in the tag, close to the Improved Clinch ... then slowly pulled the main line, allowing the braid to slip in the Improved Clinch knot until the overhand knot snugged up to it. Used it for many months without failure or slippage. I'm not familiar with Nanofil, so I can't say if it would work with it ... but the principal is sound.

I use a "double" overhand knot on the idea that a single overhand knot can be cinched down to near or less than the diameter of the line, but the double makes a bigger knot ... which is much less likely to slip thru the coils of the Improved Clinch, regardless of how slick the line is.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a loop knot for my spider rigging/multi jig and hook rigs,if I'm just tying on a single jig I usually use a Palomar knot.

Post Thanks / Like

Loop knot 90% for me . I lets the jig move more. Just use what works for you it doesn't matter I've caught fish both ways. If it ant broken don't fix it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes bandchaser, Brimfisher LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast