Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report for North-west Louisiana

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report for North-west Louisiana

Hello all,
    My first post here. If anyone in northwest La is interested, my fishing buddy and myself caught 30 nice crappie on Lake O the Pines Friday. Not counting 20-30 mixed Sand Bass, Yellow bellys, and a couple Bream. They have been bitting all week according to people we talked to on the lake. We caught ours near the dam and scattered in 31-35 foot water. Several in the 14-14.5 inch range and fishing 1-2 feet off the bottom with shinners. We had to work for them with no more the two or three at time but this is better than we have been doing on other Shreveport area lakes. Others have reported catching some in the 40-45 foot channel but the flats along the edge seem to be more productive from what we saw. At least 100 boats in the area that afternoon. We watched two guys anchored on the edge of the channel and casting out with weights on the bottom and a drop hook with minnows. They caught their limit in about two hours. You would have thought they were worm fishing for bass but it worked for them. I live about two miles from the Cross lake public launch but I've never had much luck Crappie fishing there. Maybe some one here can give me some Cross lake info. Seeya, Percher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey percher.....

Quote Originally Posted by percher
    Hello all,
    My first post here. If anyone in northwest La is interested, my fishing buddy and myself caught 30 nice crappie on Lake O the Pines Friday. Not counting 20-30 mixed Sand Bass, Yellow bellys, and a couple Bream. They have been bitting all week according to people we talked to on the lake. We caught ours near the dam and scattered in 31-35 foot water. Several in the 14-14.5 inch range and fishing 1-2 feet off the bottom with shinners. We had to work for them with no more the two or three at time but this is better than we have been doing on other Shreveport area lakes. Others have reported catching some in the 40-45 foot channel but the flats along the edge seem to be more productive from what we saw. At least 100 boats in the area that afternoon. We watched two guys anchored on the edge of the channel and casting out with weights on the bottom and a drop hook with minnows. They caught their limit in about two hours. You would have thought they were worm fishing for bass but it worked for them. I live about two miles from the Cross lake public launch but I've never had much luck Crappie fishing there. Maybe some one here can give me some Cross lake info. Seeya, Percher
    We're always interested in reports... :D I don't get away enough to make the trip to Lake O'The Pines, but one of my buddies is more than likely there now. You will see his user name on the LA board (Rod & Reel....or R&R) each time he gets back from the Pines. He's got the perfect rig for fishing open windy lakes. A big pontoon with a clear vinyl enclosure, generator, and "other essential amenities", complete with grill. He hasn't hit them every time, but he scores well if the weather is favorable. I've been on the Pines before when bass fishing with an H&H spinner and accidently stumbled onto some of the best crappie fishing I had at that time. It's a great lake. I've been fishing Cypress Lake and Black Bayou when I get the chance to get out, haven't been limiting out, but usually get enough for a couple good meals. We're fishing much the same as you......dropshotting about a foot off bottom with bare jig heads tipped with Rosy Reds if we can find them, or if not just regular minnows.
    Percher, I've been doing some advertising to get new members in our area, including word of mouth through some friends. Would you mind telling me where you learned about crappie.com? If I can pinpoint the best avenue to advertise, I can use my resources to get us all some reports in our area. At this time we have 15 members in N. LA, from N.E. LA to N.W. LA. Total membership in LA is 34.
    Glad to have you aboard, percher. I hope you will become as addicted to browsing this site as we are. Lots of info here, and lots of crappie addicts to answer any questions you may have. Looking forward to reading your posts....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks La Bill

Thanks for the nice reply.
    I have seen a guy with a enclosed barge and a generator but have never fished near him. I have forgotten about Cypress and Black Bayou and haven't fished there since the first few years they filled it. I wouldn't know where to start for Crappie but I used to catch a lot of bass on crank baits back then.
    I found your site through a dogpile search for "Fishing Reports Louisiana" Dogpile searches 10-15 sites at once so it is the best I know to locate hard to find sites. Only one engine found your site and there is nothing else out there that addresses our state. At least not as good as Texas web reports. I checked your source and found your meta tags could use some extra Key words. Here is a copy/paste of what you have on your home page, (www.Crappie.com).

<meta name="description" content="Crappie Fishing - information sharing, reports, pictures">
    <meta name="keywords" content="crappie, fish, fishing, bass, walleye, pond, lake, jig, hook">

I would suggest adding a lot of other keywords in there like la fishing report, louisiana fishing report,La message board,louisiana message board,,,,,etc.
    Basicly cover anything someone would search for. Many sites have several lines of keywords and their description line is filled with much more infomation to catch surfers. This is what search engines find when you search. You can look at anyones tags by going to their home page, click on "View" and then "View Source" and it will open a page with the HTLM code. You may already know all of this so my appologies if you do.
    I hope to knock off tomorrow around noon and head over to LOP and fish untill 9:30 pm or so. I'll send a new report if I do get to go. Maybe I can get a limit before dark and come home early! Seeya, Percher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by percher
    Thanks for the nice reply.
    I have seen a guy with a enclosed barge and a generator but have never fished near him. I have forgotten about Cypress and Black Bayou and haven't fished there since the first few years they filled it. I wouldn't know where to start for Crappie but I used to catch a lot of bass on crank baits back then.
    I found your site through a dogpile search for "Fishing Reports Louisiana" Dogpile searches 10-15 sites at once so it is the best I know to locate hard to find sites. Only one engine found your site and there is nothing else out there that addresses our state. At least not as good as Texas web reports. I checked your source and found your meta tags could use some extra Key words. Here is a copy/paste of what you have on your home page, (www.Crappie.com).

<meta name="description" content="Crappie Fishing - information sharing, reports, pictures">
    <meta name="keywords" content="crappie, fish, fishing, bass, walleye, pond, lake, jig, hook">

I would suggest adding a lot of other keywords in there like la fishing report, louisiana fishing report,La message board,louisiana message board,,,,,etc.
    Basicly cover anything someone would search for. Many sites have several lines of keywords and their description line is filled with much more infomation to catch surfers. This is what search engines find when you search. You can look at anyones tags by going to their home page, click on "View" and then "View Source" and it will open a page with the HTLM code. You may already know all of this so my appologies if you do.
    I hope to knock off tomorrow around noon and head over to LOP and fish untill 9:30 pm or so. I'll send a new report if I do get to go. Maybe I can get a limit before dark and come home early! Seeya, Percher
    Thanks for the tip, percher. I'll check that out. No, I knew nothing about "meta tags" or keywords for keying in on surfers. In fact, I knew nothing about how search engines work, but what you told me may help immensely.
    Good luck if you get away to fish. If you run into R&R, give him a hello from labill. If he knows you're a member he'll probably drag you on board to fish with him. He seldom meets a stranger.
    BTW, if you want to try Cypress/black Bayou, I can give you a few starting places, but you will have to pay 10 bucks for a permit that's good for a year, then 2 bucks to launch.

Post Thanks / Like

I Typed In Crappie On Yahoo, And Found This Site