HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I can stand the cold, I'm fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Default If I can stand the cold, I'm fishing!

Yesterday was pretty mild compared to the last five days, but the cold nights have dropped the water temperature to 38 degrees making even a 5-10 mph breeze uncomfortable. But as with any cold weather fishing, warm clothes and a bright sun make an outing worth the discomfort (unless ya gotta go!)

When air temperature goes down so does my mental stamina. You can't go into a daze casting like a robot and expect to catch fish. Fish are in a variety of depths and proximity to shorelines and your lure is the true and only fish finder. If my mind was more active, I would have put a buoy marker out after catching fish rather than have to guess after my boat drifted away while taking fish off the hook.

I've found that even a boat's wind-re-position 10 yards away from where fish were caught can affect where casts should have been as in the case of a small tight school or group of fish. But again, the cold made me lazy and the buoy marker wasn't used. But at least general areas were learned and a few patterns evolved.

Granted, 18 fish (crappie, sunfish, mostly y.perch and small bass) are nothing to brag about, but every outing is a, well-I'll-be learning experience and better than just sitting around the house, wondering how the fishing was while sitting in the sun on the back porch.

As usual for cold water, 1/32 oz was my only choice along with just a few lure designs 2" or less in length - including the experimental design below that didn't disappoint- a cut-paddle tail worm:

I've been known to be the only boat on the water the day after Xmas. (Of course that's when I was many years younger.)

Likes S10CHEVY, Redge, scrat LIKED above post
    Thanks icejohn thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report, I am a winter crappie fisherman also.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report! We're going to have a mini-warm-up this coming week and we're hoping to be able to launch the boat, if the ice isn't formed yet.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I went out last week here in upstate ny when air temp was 38-40' the water temp about 47' wind 10-15mph....didn't do much drifting but hit a good spot...anchored and stayed put for 2hrs..caught 35 nice y.perch mostly with 3/8oz jigging spoon...cold day but was great.Name:  20171117_163658.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  136.8 KB
    Take a kid fishing start a new friendship with nature.
    Likes scrat, gravelman6 LIKED above post

Slabprowler is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post as always thanks for sharing!
    Too blessed to be stressed!
    Likes icejohn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I gave up to soon, was super warm this weekend. Still learning where to find them

Getting ready for ice but could be awhile

Post Thanks / Like

Strange that we both did well with perch in cold water... Seems they were the most aggressive of the species.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 11-25-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Zman is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, thanks for a good report , and I like hearing about every trip. Cold weather and warm weather If I can stand the cold, I'm fishing!

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I'll post more outing results with pictures and details such as tackle and presentation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast