Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever used these baits......???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ever used these baits......???

It's been awhile since I've been on the site! Life and work I guess lol......speaking of I have a little holiday vacation until Monday and today is supposed to be a high of 52 degrees here in Ohio and while everyone is going black Friday shopping I'll be going to the lake! Anyway, saw these really cool micro swim baits at Walmart and thought they looked fantastic for some late fall crappie! Their called Mini-Mites! I will attach pic.....anyone every used these?! I think they will be an excellent choice this time of year.....very small, like 1-1.5" on a 1/32 hook. I'm just not sure how I want to rig it. I'll be fishing from shore/dock in 12'+ water.....last month they were hitting minnows and jigs with a slow retrieve. It's been getting colder however with temps at night dipping into upper 20's and day temps in the consistent 43-47 degree area. I'm either gonna rig this solo with a 1/32 split shot about 10" above for more casting distance or I'm gonna rig it drop shot. Never used these, guess I'll find out how well that tail swims?....What you all think? I will also have a second pole out rigged with a slip bobber and minnow therefore I have both live and artificial to see what their preference for the day is.
    Name:  MINI.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  27.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Have not but they look nice
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a new one to me. They look good, so let us know how they perform.

Post Thanks / Like

They will work, for sure!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They've been around for many years, and I've even seen them in my local tackle stores .... plus I think I remember a discussion about them on here. I've never used them, myself, opting for the Charlie Brewer Slider (boot tail) style of plastics, instead. Price was the determining factor in that choice. Then along came Strike King's Slabalicious and Slabanator Booty Shakers ... and Cubby's Mini-Mite jigs just faded from memory.

I have little doubt they work, and catch fish ... I just don't see them as being "all that" when compared to similar style baits.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Those micro baits should work good in your cooler water. I'd start by casting and a real slow retrieve. But if I didn't get bit in a hurry I'd switch to a slip float and fish them back as slow as I could just keeping slack out of the line. Good luck and catch a bunch.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Those have been around for years but I have never used them. I have no doubt they will catch crappies. My favorite mini-bait is the 1 1/4 size watsit grub. Those tiny legs on the bait make all the difference in the world.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got some of them in my bag but have never tried them.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes up North we do after ice is out and work well for us. Like the glow with green head but every lake is different.
    Thanks Branch Perch thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Give us an update on how they worked - positive or negative.

As long as the horizontal retrieve speed is nice and slow using a 1/32 oz. or lighter jig, bites should happen for most species. I wonder sometimes why smaller & slower is a fact of life when fishing in water around 40 degrees, yet the strikes are still hard. Could be that combo is what the fish order when it comes to cold water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast