Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage question on outboard motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Storage question on outboard motor

maybe posted before but this is my first fishing rig, do you guys store the motor trimmed down or up on the transom saver.

I am not sure it matters but you always learn something when you ask

thanks

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Down, especially in the winter.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

ok I figured on the transom saver to keep the load off the transom. But if down is the answer I will head out to storage tomorrow and trim it down.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though I live down south I always trim my motor down in the parking lot of the boat ramp. It drains all the water from the foot. Then I trim it back up and put the motor brace back on for the trip home. Leave it that way till next time launching

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease
    Likes Spaceman LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The only real reason to have your motor trimmed all the way down .... is if it's stored outside, because the lower unit can collect water/snow and possibly freeze, which can cause the lower unit casing to expand/crack/burst.

When I keep mine outside, on the transom saver, I simply cover the prop/lower unit in plastic shopping bags ... held in place by a small bungie cord. When I choose to put it in a storage bin, that's no longer necessary. If I use it just prior to putting it in a storage bin, or take it out & use it and return it to the bin ... I simply lower the motor and drain out the water before putting it back on the transom saver and into the storage bin.
    Likes wannabe fisherman, Spaceman LIKED above post

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Like feeshrman, I lower at the ramp to drain then use the transom saver for transport. When home I remove the transom saver and lower again. I am fortunate to have garage space for storage, but i like CrappiePappy's solution for covering/protecting the lower unit.
    P.S. While at the ramp and draining water from the motor , I have a spray bottle with 1/3 vinegar, 2/3 water I use to spray the hull and wipe down. Boat is clean when i get home and ready for the next trip.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I lowered it and made sure it was drained. I went out today and lowered again and no water came out. I am storing inside storage so I think I should be ok using the transom saver, makes more sense to me to put the load on the trailer instead of transom.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you completely drain the gas tank area and or Belge area it can freeze and break pumps and hoses a guy at the lake ask when I winterized my boat and I said the first time I break ice with it, always drain it at ramp also keeps from spreading zebra mussels from one lake to the another.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Take plug out of love well as well for the same reasons Good Fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

I let the motor drain well near the ramp, up with the transom saver to get home, then down parked in the garage.
    Easier to get to the batteries and check 2 stroke oil tank on the motor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast