PDA

View Full Version : Ever hear of Outlaw Crappie Rods?

Larry-Southern Indiana
01-23-2005, 08:56 PM
I picked up a 10' at the boat show in Louisville today and damn that thing was light as a feather. I've never heard of this rod before. Damn place was closing and I had to leave. Spent all my time looking at pontoon boats. Sure found some ones I like. Going back later in the week to finish looking at boats and then I'll hit all the tackle shops and see if there's any deals to be had. The price of fishing boats in general are out of sight I think. Who in the hell would finance a boat for 120 to 180 months? That is plum crazy low interest or not. Looks like I'll be fishing out of my paided off Crestliner boat for a long while unless a bag of money comes my way. I did look at a 250 Mercury Verado today. Hell it didn't look any bigger than the 225 opti-max sitting next to it. The price of that Triton21x with that 250 was $47,000 and change after the boat show discount. I walked away talking to myself. Glad no one was close around listening. Even the cheaper aluminum rigs are high. Oh well life goes on.

Larry

duane
01-23-2005, 09:01 PM
I picked up a 10' at the boat show in Louisville today and damn that thing was light as a feather. I've never heard of this rod before. Damn place was closing and I had to leave. Spent all my time looking at pontoon boats. Sure found some ones I like. Going back later in the week to finish looking at boats and then I'll hit all the tackle shops and see if there's any deals to be had. The price of fishing boats in general are out of sight I think. Who in the hell would finance a boat for 120 to 180 months? That is plum crazy low interest or not. Looks like I'll be fishing out of my paided off Crestliner boat for a long while unless a bag of money comes my way. I did look at a 250 Mercury Verado today. Hell it didn't look any bigger than the 225 opti-max sitting next to it. The price of that Triton21x with that 250 was $47,000 and change after the boat show discount. I walked away talking to myself. Glad no one was close around listening. Even the cheaper aluminum rigs are high. Oh well life goes on.

Larry

http://www.outlawfishing.com/

the only rod Russ uses he said on the chat.

labill
01-23-2005, 09:12 PM

Larry

Larry....just heard of Outlaw Rods a few days ago when Rippa recommended them to one of our new members on the LA board. He said they were very light and something to the effect that he had never broken one of them. I Think it was under the thread "Jigging Poles" if you want to check it out.

russ
01-23-2005, 09:23 PM
I use the Outlaw rod. When jigging I use the 10ft. most of the time. Very lightweight, but plenty of backbone. They are all IM-7 graphite. If you bought one, you will not be disappointed!

Russ

crappieseeker
01-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Larry Southern Indiana, my friend just bought a TR_21 with a 200 or 225 and it was like 35,000. My small aluminum boat was high too just like you said. Over 17,000. I tell you they are proud of their boats these days for what they charge.

Moose1am
01-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Larry:

Even the cheaper boats are more expensive these days. A new Basstracker can cost more than 14,000 these days. I remember when they first came out and you could get on for 5,000. Everything is expensive to me.

Your boat is paid off so why not just enjoy it? There is nothing wrong with your boat. It's big enough and it's fast enough and we both know it's a very stable boat and great to fish out of.

bentpole
01-24-2005, 09:01 AM
I got over that new boat itch FASSST the last time I went to a dealer.Came back home & dang my ol' boat looked better than it has in years.>>>>Bentpole

Denny
01-24-2005, 07:20 PM
I just got outlaw 10ft. pole today it is super light UL Action. I use 11ft. B&M Brush Cutter Super-Stiff Action do not know if I will like UL Action but will give it a try tomorao.

Bart
01-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Wally Marshall has a new "mighty lite" series that has an UL action as well. I don't like the UL action as well as the Light action on his other rods. Thanks for the heads up on the Outlaw UL action Denny, I was about to order one.

Indy-Travis
02-21-2005, 07:51 AM
I just picked up a 10' Outlaw at our boat show. Can't wait to try it out, I like how light it is, as I like to do a lot of flipping and short casting with my long poles. Most seem pretty heavy after a while, so I was impressed with the Outlaw, just hope it isn't a breaker, I broke two long rods last spring.

Big George
02-21-2005, 10:22 AM
I have 16 of them and now am going to get the new 14 footers they are very good rods and hey you can usually get replacement ends very fast for a decent price. You can swing a fish easy and not break one if you use your head :p

Darryl Morris
02-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Larry Southern Indiana, my friend just bought a TR_21 with a 200 or 225 and it was like 35,000. My small aluminum boat was high too just like you said. Over 17,000. I tell you they are proud of their boats these days for what they charge.

TR-21 is a nice boat with a nice price. I know where anyone in the market for a big, fast glass boat can get one only 2 years old and half the price of a new Triton or Ranger. Might even give a free full-day guided trip to the buyer if they come down to check it out.

http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/images/MVC-208E.JPG

Haven't ever heard of that rod manufacturer before now. Thanks for the lead.

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
02-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Wally Marshall has a new "mighty lite" series that has an UL action as well. I don't like the UL action as well as the Light action on his other rods. Thanks for the heads up on the Outlaw UL action Denny, I was about to order one. :confused:

I agree with you Bart. I hate UL! Gives the fish too much advantage. I want either a medium light, or a light action. Otherwise, just give me a cane pole & a shoe string instead. :p

I don't know what pole you are talking about Denny? :( I've never seen any OutLaw poles in UL. All sizes of these poles I've seen or used are at least Light action, if not heavier. :confused: As Russ stated, they are all IM7 graphite. You could lift a 2lb fish straight up out of the water and it will swing straight in and hit you in the chest. I've never been able to do that with any other type of Crappie pole. If you end up being unhappy with the style you have, I will be glad to work out a swap and get you set up with the one that better matches your preferences Denny. Just drop me a line.

OutLaw also sells spare tips too, but I have never needed one. The tips go for $10-$15 ea if my memory is correct. If you buy any size or make of these poles, you won't be sorry. If you want some Bart, just let me know. If I am in your area, I will even let you try some of my very own out 1st, for free!

Though I did just become a new pro staff memeber for OutLaw, my own name doesn't "just happen" to be on any of the poles that members have been trying to push here recently, just my sincerest approval.
<,"}/>{ Rippa

Denny
02-21-2005, 11:41 PM
The pole I have is 10ft. UL Cork Handle, I got a 2.5 crappie with it took both hands to swing it in boat woe that was harry.I bought one of there 11FT. Medium Light poles and a h*ll of better pole. Got a couple 2 pounders with it alot easer to swing in the boat. Great Pole.....

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
02-22-2005, 09:37 AM
The pole I have is 10ft. UL Cork Handle, I got a 2.5 crappie with it took both hands to swing it in boat woe that was harry.I bought one of there 11FT. Medium Light poles and a hell of better pole. Got a couple 2 pounders with it alot easer to swing in the boat. Great Pole.....

Glad to hear that Denny. I wouldn't want my sponsor to have unhappy customers. I've been in the sales industry long enough to know that a happy customer will be your best possible advertising, and therefore, my ultimate goal as well. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you Denny.

The 10'ers I have with the foam handle are plenty stiff(what I personally prefer), but I don't have any of the cork handled ones yet. Full baskets, and Awesome Crappie poles to ya! <,"}/>{ Rippa

Indy-Travis
02-22-2005, 09:53 AM
The 10' pole I bought has the foam handle, and is a bit stiffer than both the HT and the Silstar, and I broke both of those last spring. Hope it is as sensitive, but I primarily thill float fish with my long poles, so sensitivity shouldn't be much of an issue. Can't wait to get on the water and see how it does. I am also picking one up for my buddy, so we will give them a good workout this spring.

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
02-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Hey Indy, if you bought those at the boat show, you probably got them from my friend Charlie Hildreth. He will take good care of you. <,"}/>{ Rippa

Bart
02-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Tim,

The new 10' version with a cork handle is UL... the 10' foam handle is L action. I just picked up a 10' foam handle at a boat show. It's very close in action to the 9'-9lb fly rod designed for steelhead that I've been using. I like it.

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
02-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Great to hear that Bart. That is my favorite type and size too. I use the longer ones in holders usually. I really like them all, but I hae never used the cork ones. I don't care much for cork, never did. <,"}/>{ Rippa

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
02-23-2005, 03:18 PM
Great to hear that Bart. That is my favorite type and size too. I use the longer ones in holders usually. I really like them all, but I hae never used the cork ones. I don't care much for cork, never did. <,"}/>{ Rippa

I don't have any rod holders on my boat yet. I asked wally Marshall why I could not get his sig series in a 12' with cork. He said the rod holders tear up the cork handles. I'm on the other side of the fence when it come to handles. Don't care much for the foam, never did. Give me cork or give me death :eek:

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
02-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Everyone will have their own preferences and that is what makes life great. None of us are the same. BTW, My all time favorite pole actually did have a cork handle, and it was made by Quantum. It was discontinued many years before the company switched hands, and it was a special order item as well. Cost around $95 ea, and that was 18 years ago. Sure do miss those poles(broken long ago). But I don't miss the slimey cork forgrips!

Outlaw has cork handles available too. Let me know if those interest you at all PiginthePigPen. If you don't want to check them out, and are a die hard Browning, B&M or Wally man - no biggy to me, so be it. I still own and use some of those too. I like all of those for one reason or another, but I have dislikes about them too.

I will be in your neck of the woods before too much longer. PM me if you want to see some Outlaws.

Full baskets to ya. <,"}/>{ Rippa

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
02-23-2005, 09:31 PM
I would for sure buy one with cork handles OUTLAW that is. I love trying new things especially poles. When you around my area please let me know. Thanks Tim :cool:

Bingo
11-11-2005, 07:06 PM
I was over in MO yesterday buying some Grizzly Jigs at Grizzy Jigs and i got to trying out alot and a nice selection of crappie rods. I had no intension buying a crappie rod. I have a B&M with foam handle and i like using a 10 footer.

I liked a Wally Marshall and i ran into a Browning i really liked. He could not get replacement tips for this rod and it had big eyelets but i liked the feel of this rod. Then i found a rod i could not believe. Outlaw. I am in a wheelchair and i like something light weight but also backbone behind the rod. I liked the Browning better than the W Marshall and this one blew me and ever rod away i tried on what i just wanted and needed. I had to buy it and i can't wait to use it. I liked my B&M rod but this blows my B&M rod away for my needs.

I am not sure if he told me southern pro or who makes this but if you want a rod, cork handle, has backbone, light as a feather to me, you might want to give this a try. I got in in 10'. I am not sure if they had longer in the Outlaw as 10' are the length i want. Then i wanted a ligh as feather reel and i told him i would not be casting this and he had a Grizzly reel for $8.95, that looks alot like my B&M reel. It was light and that is all i wanted in a reel, light and cheap.

This rod seems like you could feel a nat on it, with the lightness and cork handle. I haven't tried it yet fishing but i sure love how this feels in my hand. One last rod that was light and nice was one Grizzy makes. It was more like a fly rod at 9 feet but the reel was put at the ack of the rod and it was the same length as the 10 foot poles because of where you put the reel. I like the extra little handle in the back, to almost put under my arm or to balance it when i am tired. More so than one with no handle or the reel all the way back. His rod was light and close to the Browning but i don't think any matched the Outlaw. Outlaw was 39.00. Browning 49.00. Not sure on Wally Marshall and the Grizzly was either 39.00 or 49.00 i think.

I even tried an ultra light B&M and it didn't come close. My cousin bought a ultra light b&m that was 6' 7" and i did like it as it was light but it was not 10' and she wanted it for casting or jigging. I really had fun and an experience with his great rod selection and he had many more and brands. I got a nice supple of the Jigs also for next spring.

CrappieHead
11-12-2005, 02:14 AM
Outlaw rods are made by Outlaw rod company just outside Kansas City, KS. Here is the web address.

http://www.outlawfishing.com/

I have not used one but have heard some good reports on these rods.

Bingo
11-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the link.

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
11-14-2005, 06:38 PM
Glad to hear about another excited customer! ;)

If anyone really likes the current style of Outlaw's 10' cork handled poles, I suggest you buy up what you will want ASAP. These are now discontinued, and will be replaced with the same blank(bigger and a little heavier) which are currently being used in Outlaw's 10' Foam handled poles.

I personally only have 1 of the 10' corks left and haven't made up my mind whether I want to just keep it for myself or sell it. :confused: They really are light, and sensitive, but not quite as bullet proof as the foam handled versions which I personally prefer.

The 7' 2" cork handled Outlaw poles will remain in their same, current style for 2006, and are readily available as are all Outlaw poles through local Pro staff members, or on line. If anyone has any questions about these poles, feel free to drop me a PM. I'll be glad to try and fill your needs, or at least get you heading in the right direction!

Full baskets, and kind weather to yas! :p

<,"}/>{ Rippa