Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: KY Lake/Big Sandy

Post Thanks / Like

Default KY Lake/Big Sandy

Ky Lake is getting good. I longlinned trolled 8 poles with 1/16th jigs. We had 35 keepers. I am guessing we caught another 20 or so that wasn't 10 inches we put back in the lake. I used all kinds of skirts but the Slab Busters and Wooly Beavertails did very good. I used more Slab Busters than Beavertails but both did good. Road runner heads did good also. The Slab buster and Beavertails was on just a 1/16th minnow head and no spinner. This was in the Big Sandy area. Sorry, i forgot the camera but next week i'll take it. Thank goodness for this warmer weather.

mcguire1019 Guest

Where do you get slab busters and wooly beavertails?

Post Thanks / Like

How deep were they? I'm planning my first trip to Big Sandy this weekend. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

wsandyspeck Guest

A buddy of mine caught his limit in shallow water Tuesday, 4 to 6 ft. I fished Sat. and caught them in 12 to 15 ft. I am going to fish shallow this weekend and see what happens. Try britton Ford area, Elkhorn opens this week also.

Post Thanks / Like

The bigger best fish we caught was in 9 to 14 feet deep but we did catch them in 7 or 8 feet but the size was not as good. It was so many people fishing and they were fishing shallow and deep. I bought the slab busters from Jack Stevens in MO at ph number 573-374-1337. They are in small bags that are garlic scented. 12 tubes for $1.45 or $1.49 per pack. I forget but close to $1.50 a pack. He has 21 colors. He also sells minnow jig heads that are soaked in garlic $4.50 per 50 ct in 1/32 or 1/16th. Casting i like 1/32 and trolling i like 1/16th.

Do a search for Yum Wooly Beavertail. I ordered some from Grizzlyjig.com and he only had listed 1 1/2inch so i ordered that but i prefer 2" and now i got a catalog and see they do have 2". Those are garlic scented also and have like a paddle tail, like a beaver. Grizzlyjig also sells the Slab Busters.

Thanks also for the report on someone limiting out shallow. It looks like if the warmer weather holds we will get an earlier spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered some more from Jack and see now they have a web site. You can see all the colors he sells.

http://slabbuster.com/index.htm

mcguire1019 Guest

What color slab busters do you all prefer?

Post Thanks / Like

1.White/Chart
    2.Black Pink/Pearl
    3.Hot Pink/Peal White(not listed on web site)
    4.Red/Chart
    5.Either one of the Black/Chart
    6.Pearl Blue/Pearl White
    7.Purple/Chart

The orange/chart was pretty good other day also. I think you will catch fish on all he has listed. Anything with Pink or Chart is very good. It seems that anything mixed with white is also good, either white or pearl. They have alot of garlic on them in the bags they come in and this probably helps and with the tail so thin, i feel this helps.

Those top 5 i prefer but i catch fish on all the colors he makes. It is probably different for dark or light days on maybe which is best daily.