HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mrdux report from explorekylake com with cdc mentions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mrdux report from explorekylake com with cdc mentions

From: https://www.explorekylake.com/lakesa.../doug-wynn.htm

Doug Wynn's Fishing Report

For November 15, 2017

Report for Kentucky Lake and Lake BarkleyWelcome from the white Excel Bay Pro 203
    Sadly, this will be the last report from the white 203. My next report will be from the TAN Excel Bay Pro 203. I'll be talking more about the change in my next report. I just hope the new boat can serve my clients and I as well as the white one has.
    Crappie

Boy, it's been a week of good, bad, and ugly.
    The bad was last week when the crappie I had been catching regularly dried up, just when some new friends from South Carolina arrived for the Crappie.com ShinDig.(more on that below). I know most of it was weather related but I tried my whole bag of tricks and almost nothing worked. The 70-degree water temps had dropped into the mid 50s and the fish just decided to stick their heads in the nearest brushpile and not come out to play.
    The ugly came Friday when we had a "Fruit Jar" tournament as part of the Crappie.com weekend. I had the honor of fishing with the best fisherman I've ever had the pleasure to fish with, Kenny Smith (we call him Chaunc) from Pennsylvania.
    We gathered up all the clothes we could muster and loaned some we weren't using to some of our out-of-town friends who weren't prepared for the below freezing temps. I set the Excel up for longlining and we probed several coves that showed fish in cover at levels of 15-25 feet but they had nothing to do with our presentations. After a few hours of futility, we just decided to kick back and just do what friends do when the fish aren't biting, we spent the rest of the allotted time BSing, reminiscing, and just enjoying being in the same boat. We showed up at the weigh-in with a skunk in our bag. ZERO keepers!! To say some folks were surprised by that is an understatement.
    The good was spending Tuesday in Kenny's Lund boat, learning a technique he recently showed Russ Bailey of "Brushpile Fishing TV" fame. Their trip on Shenango Lake will be on the show in a month or so. I'll keep you posted.
    We caught several nice crappie and several shorts but spending time on the lake with a man who calls me his "Brother from Another Mother" was priceless.
    Crappie Part 2

The winning technique Friday was working deep brush SLOWLY with plastics and minnows. This worked for us Tuesday. Target depths were cover in 15-25 feet of water on main lake and larger bays. We tried a dozen different style and color plastics before we zeroed in on what worked. Orange and chartreuse PICO ring tubes were my best baits. Of course, everything plastic we used was with a Crappie Nibble on the hook. My buddies from South Carolina last week left as firm believers in the difference the Crappie Nibbles made in our catch.
    I'm still seeing several fishermen using spider rigged minnows and jigs in medium depth areas of bays, 6-15 feet of water.

The only other notable reports I've gotten is of some nice blue cats being caught on river ledges on cut bait on days of high current flow.
    Last weekend we had our annual Crappie.com KY Forum ShinDig here at Mike Miller Park. This year the opener of rifle deer season held our local attendance down a bit but we had visitors from 11 different states in attendance. If you have not taken the time to check out Crappie.com, you are missing a wealth of shared knowledge from some of the best crappie fishermen in the country. Check it out: www.crappie.com
    Kudos to the staff at Mike Miller Park for all their assistance. Folks, we take a lot of things for granted here. We live in an area that is a destination for folks from all over the world. Sometimes we just don't think about how other folks from all over the country see this area. I had a ton of folks comment about what a wonderful facility Mike Miller Park is and how lucky we are to have it. Many of the visitors from 11 states said this might be their 1st time here but it won't be their last.
    Lastly, Kudos to Heather and the staff at Sportsman"s Lodge and Marina. Most of our out of town members stayed there and were very impressed with the way they were treated during their stay.
    With the water temps dropping to the low 50s now, please wear your PFD even if you chose not to in warmer weather. Be observant of low-water gremlins out there. Be careful out there.
    Welcome to our slice of heaven.
    Capt. Doug Wynn
    Crappie Gills n' More
    5 Rivers Taxidermy
    157 Chase Loop
    Benton, KY 42025
    (270) 703-7600
    [email protected]
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Thanks chaunc thanked you for this post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting that Ed. I get a kick out of doing the reports but I am going to be brutally honest in my assessments and will not do a report for a time frame I have not personally been on the water or gotten fresh reports from friends who might be fishing for something I'm not concentrating on..

I have no idea what's up with the link Ed provided. If you will click on crappie-gills-n-more in my address box above. it will take you to my site main page. At the bottom of the left column is a choice that says"Fishing report". Click on that and it will take you directly to the Explore KY Lake site.

The top picture is me, the middle is Chaunc, and the bottom is Scottymoe from the South Carolina board.
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Mike58, Slabprowler, blueball, chaunc LIKED above post

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

1st timer to Ky! Enjoyed it all and met some great folks. Will be back. Well written Doug and you folks are blessed with wonderful facilities and I was very excited to see your game and fish involved in crappie fisherman / studies and improvement on Kentucky / Barkley lake !
    Last edited by "D"; 11-18-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Way to "represent". Tanks Doug.

Notice the red tinge on the crappie in the pic of Chaunc. Prolly Doug's jacket's bright color being reflected. lol
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Scottymoe and I were first timers also but I don't think it will be my last. You lucky folks have some outstanding facilities to enjoy. Thanks to everyone who showed us your hospitality and to sportsmans lodge for letting us visit. Got to meet a lot of new friends and I hope to return next year. Thanks Mr Doug for all you did to help us.
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    Way to "represent". Tanks Doug.

Notice the red tinge on the crappie in the pic of Chaunc. Prolly Doug's jacket's bright color being reflected. lol
    A guy I'm doing a 32" Peacock Bass for was in my studio yesterday. He had just read my fishing report and was all torn up over the orange crappie in the picture. I was puzzled by what he was seeing so we opened the pics on my phone and there it was, Chaunc holding an "orange" crappie. Next thing you know, somebody will want one painted like that.
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Slab LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    A guy I'm doing a 32" Peacock Bass for was in my studio yesterday. He had just read my fishing report and was all torn up over the orange crappie in the picture. I was puzzled by what he was seeing so we opened the pics on my phone and there it was, Chaunc holding an "orange" crappie. Next thing you know, somebody will want one painted like that.
    Didn't notice that. Have to go take another look. Might be a good calendar pic.

Post Thanks / Like

nice read ....good report
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales