PDA

View Full Version : Mice in my boat...how do i keep them out?

floppingcrappie
11-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Today I put the boat away for the winter, but this past weekend I took the boat out one last time only to find my battery wires to the starting motor had been chewed on and were shorting. I replaced them and motor runs like a top now, but I would appreciate any ideas on how to keep them out of the boat? (I am using mouse traps)

"G"
11-16-2017, 08:48 PM
Bait blocks put some in storage compartments and some in the battery area. You can find some that are water resistant. Local farm supply stores have them or you can go to Doityourselfpestcontrol.com

FurFlyin
11-16-2017, 08:52 PM
Put a cat in the boat. :)

Sorry. Single feed rait bait and/or sticky traps.

Single feed just means they'll consume a lethal dose in one feeding. You don't want the more common and cheaper multi feed baits.

floppingcrappie
11-16-2017, 08:58 PM
Put a cat in the boat. :)

Sorry. Single feed rait bait and/or sticky traps.

Single feed just means they'll consume a lethal dose in one feeding. You don't want the more common and cheaper multi feed baits.

HAHA, but then I'd need a litter box.

jdfisherman
11-16-2017, 09:51 PM
Here's a few ideas. Look for a product called cab fresh at local farm supply or online. It is mesh bags filled with natural repellents to keep mice away. It has a strong odor but doesn't smell bad. I use these in combine and other equipment I store on farm for the winter as well as my boat. Another is buy some peppermint oil (grocery store near the spices) and pour some onto cotton balls and place in your boat. I always cover my boat in the winter with a sheet of clear plastic instead of the cover and also prop all my storage doors open just a bit so I don't create a dark hiding spot for mice during the winter. I remove life jackets and and anything I think a mouse could chew on or make a nest in and store that stuff in plastic totes.I have a couple buddies who do the same and even remove their engine covers so mice can't get under them and have a heyday with engine wiring. Always seemed to me the more light and exposure something has the less mice like to bother it.I use poison as well but I just put it in plastic bait station boxes around my shed and one box right underneath the boat.

jaxsprat
11-17-2017, 12:35 AM
I go to store and buy Clothes Dryer sheet, 50-100 to a box, I get ones with the strongest scent like violet spring etc, and place these scattered thru out the boat . Mice& rats do not like the odor and stay out. Or u could dump about a dozen moth balls in a old pie tin and place about six of these in boat. Been using the dryer sheet for years and never had a problem, put two boxes in for a 17 foot boat.

Ketchn
11-17-2017, 06:27 AM
Moth balls work but you have to freshen them every so often as do the clothes dryer sheets ,they to have to be freshened after a while ....I do know they will reek havoc on a boat and have 2 different buds that got electronics tore up by them . We think one of the culprits was squirrels btw

Crestliner08
11-17-2017, 07:16 AM
Have used dryer sheets for over 10 years now, to protect boat and snowblower from mice and other critters. Inexpensive and they work.

huntinslabs
11-17-2017, 08:50 AM
From a camping forum so i have no first hand knowledge but they claim cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil wrapped in aluminum foil will keep them away.

Cane Pole
11-17-2017, 09:55 AM
Mousetrap placed on a 5 gallon bucket lid (or anything similar) loaded with peanut butter placed inside boat. This gets the every time. Squirrels have also been a problem. Shooting them solves the problem. Use air rifle, 22, 357, or 155 Howitzer.

ET Fish
11-17-2017, 10:22 AM
Mousetrap placed on a 5 gallon bucket lid (or anything similar) loaded with peanut butter placed inside boat. This gets the every time. Squirrels have also been a problem. Shooting them solves the problem. Use air rifle, 22, 357, or 155 Howitzer.
Alright, I just tried this advice. The squirrel is deceased. Now I have a big hole in my boat. Should I get it fixed now, or wait until I have killed all the squirrels?

kycreek
11-17-2017, 12:01 PM
I use the dryer sheets & have never saw any signs of them. So that's probably the kiss of death.

tahoe 50
11-17-2017, 12:37 PM
Neighbors cat sleeps on top of my boat with the cover on it. Don't have to feed, it or change a litter box. No mice problems.

floppingcrappie
11-17-2017, 01:21 PM
Alright, I just tried this advice. The squirrel is deceased. Now I have a big hole in my boat. Should I get it fixed now, or wait until I have killed all the squirrels?

I take it you used the 155 Howitzer?

ET Fish
11-17-2017, 01:53 PM
I take it you used the 155 Howitzer?
Yes I did. Do you think that was a mistake? Could Cane Pole have been wrong?

wannabe fisherman
11-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Yes I did. Do you think that was a mistake? Could Cane Pole have been wrong?

:Rofl might have been a little over kill, but Cane Pole is never wrong jmo

ET Fish
11-17-2017, 02:58 PM
:Rofl might have been a little over kill, but Cane Pole is never wrong jmo
That’s what I thought. And the squirrel IS dead!

Dutch552
11-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Dryer sheets and TomCat bait stations. You can buy them at Lowes and they’re VERY effective for mice. We used to have a horse farm and I swore by the TomCat brand over others for its rapid kill and effectiveness in our grain storage rooms.

Snubby
11-17-2017, 05:51 PM
Squirrels have also been a problem. Shooting them solves the problem. Use air rifle, 22, 357, or 155 Howitzer.

Makes me think with that Howitzer I could be the first man in history to fill my daily bag limit on every possible legal species, heck season limit with just one well placed shot, were talking squirrels, deer, turkey, waterfowl and rodents in one go. Free me up to a lot more for fishing anyways, in Mississippi we ain't got none of them pesky caliber restrictions and doubt the local Game Wardens fool much with a man hauling around that much firepower :biggrin

scrat
11-17-2017, 06:16 PM
You all did notice that Cane Pole is a member of the BS Pro-Staff. He even sometimes flies a BS flag at the bottom of his posts.:biggrin

ET Fish
11-17-2017, 06:33 PM
You all did notice that Canepole in a member of the BS Pro-Staff. He even sometimes flies a BS flag at the bottom of his posts.:biggrin
I saw that, but thought it meant Bonafide Scientist. Now you tell me, after I have a hole in my boat!

deltarat
11-17-2017, 06:48 PM
The 155 is a nice choice but, carrying extra ammo at 98# each, plus fuse and powder could get old....lol. Have shoved a few in a tube myself.

skeetbum
11-17-2017, 07:01 PM
Mouse traps loaded w/peanut butter claimed all that ever bothered me. Two in the boat and 4 more nearby along wall edges and anything that looks like a hidey hole. Never took long.

Spaceman
11-17-2017, 08:57 PM
Forgot the MOAB:Rofl

chippo
11-18-2017, 06:15 AM
Boat cat

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

crappiewisdom
11-18-2017, 09:46 AM
Squirrels are my problem. Lots of walnut and oak trees at my place. The squirrels chew thru the covers on my boats to stash their nuts. I have had seat cushions chewed by them, but not wiring. Haven't found a way to keep them out. Gonna try putting plastic owls on my boats to see if those keep them out.

BigDawgg
11-18-2017, 10:12 AM
Never kill the black snakes, king snakes or rat snakes you have in or around your shed or house. They will take care of your problems. Dryer sheets work on keeping spiders away too!:ThumbsUp

Cane Pole
11-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Squirrels are my problem. Lots of walnut and oak trees at my place. The squirrels chew thru the covers on my boats to stash their nuts. I have had seat cushions chewed by them, but not wiring. Haven't found a way to keep them out. Gonna try putting plastic owls on my boats to see if those keep them out.

I've tried the plastic owls. No workie for us. I mostly use my 357 with shot loads. This works and it is entertaining. I don't kill all the squirrels, I just keep them "thinned out". We have lots of acorns for squirrels to feed on. The don't need to chew on my boat parts.

chippo
11-18-2017, 12:02 PM
https://youtu.be/BqlwUXP-ubI

Cane Pole
11-18-2017, 05:04 PM
https://youtu.be/BqlwUXP-ubI

Great action toy!

algenco
11-18-2017, 09:22 PM
How are they getting in?
They only way they could get in my boat would be to climb the extension cord.
A funnel split and placed over the cord would stop that,small version of rat guards used on ship mooring lines

algenco
11-18-2017, 09:36 PM
Even better would be to cut the end of the cord, slide the funnel on and replace the end

SuperCorona
11-19-2017, 07:44 AM
HAHA, but then I'd need a litter box.
Well that might solve another problem I have on occasion.

Sent from my D6616 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

ozarks ranger
11-19-2017, 11:39 AM
Ya could just fish 24/7

floppingcrappie
11-21-2017, 08:48 AM
How are they getting in?
They only way they could get in my boat would be to climb the extension cord.
A funnel split and placed over the cord would stop that,small version of rat guards used on ship mooring lines

I trim the motor all the way down to ground when it starts getting cold out, this way water drains out. I think that's how the got in the boat, but now I have it put away for the winter in a pole barn. Left the cover off and opened up all the compartments (I'm hoping its too cold for them now).

floppingcrappie
11-21-2017, 08:49 AM
Ya could just fish 24/7

Only if life were that simple

Potatoe
11-22-2017, 07:56 PM
Motor should self drain after you trim it down, then you could trim it back up with transom saver

I use traps also with peanut butter, I check them often

In my opinion never use the poison in kernel's they carry it around and make nest, only use block poison

algenco
11-22-2017, 08:24 PM
I may be wrong, but I don't think a mouse could climb up my motor

short grub
11-22-2017, 09:38 PM
I was told Downy fabric softener sheets will keep the mice away give it a try I hope it works

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

jaxsprat
11-23-2017, 12:02 AM
I've tried the plastic owls. No workie for us. I mostly use my 357 with shot loads. This works and it is entertaining. I don't kill all the squirrels, I just keep them "thinned out". We have lots of acorns for squirrels to feed on. The don't need to chew on my boat parts.

Doo u wait til they are in boat to shoot them, or in next door guys tree???

jaxsprat
11-23-2017, 12:05 AM
Them dang little field mice will climb a dry wall sheet wall

chippo
11-23-2017, 12:45 PM
Squirrel and dumplings

skunked again
11-24-2017, 03:26 PM
Fresh cab +1!
Get it at local farm and home store. It has a certain smell to it, you'll love it or hate it. I keep them in the boat, shed, and garage. No problems yet.

deltarat
11-24-2017, 09:55 PM
Fresh cab +1!
Get it at local farm and home store. It has a certain smell to it, you'll love it or hate it. I keep them in the boat, shed, and garage. No problems yet.
I wish I had known about that when I farmed. It must be good stuff because it is out of stock everywhere.

ozarks ranger
12-04-2017, 12:28 PM
I went to a health store and bought peppermint oil, use cotton balls soaked with it place in motor compartment and storage compartments, works good for me and smells good will last a month