HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mice in my boat...how do i keep them out?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mice in my boat...how do i keep them out?

Today I put the boat away for the winter, but this past weekend I took the boat out one last time only to find my battery wires to the starting motor had been chewed on and were shorting. I replaced them and motor runs like a top now, but I would appreciate any ideas on how to keep them out of the boat? (I am using mouse traps)

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Bait blocks put some in storage compartments and some in the battery area. You can find some that are water resistant. Local farm supply stores have them or you can go to Doityourselfpestcontrol.com
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Thanks floppingcrappie thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Put a cat in the boat.

Sorry. Single feed rait bait and/or sticky traps.

Single feed just means they'll consume a lethal dose in one feeding. You don't want the more common and cheaper multi feed baits.
    Likes short grub, Yonder, footballcoach LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FurFlyin View Post
    Put a cat in the boat.

Sorry. Single feed rait bait and/or sticky traps.

Single feed just means they'll consume a lethal dose in one feeding. You don't want the more common and cheaper multi feed baits.

HAHA, but then I'd need a litter box.
    Likes kyrich, Brimfisher, short grub LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a few ideas. Look for a product called cab fresh at local farm supply or online. It is mesh bags filled with natural repellents to keep mice away. It has a strong odor but doesn't smell bad. I use these in combine and other equipment I store on farm for the winter as well as my boat. Another is buy some peppermint oil (grocery store near the spices) and pour some onto cotton balls and place in your boat. I always cover my boat in the winter with a sheet of clear plastic instead of the cover and also prop all my storage doors open just a bit so I don't create a dark hiding spot for mice during the winter. I remove life jackets and and anything I think a mouse could chew on or make a nest in and store that stuff in plastic totes.I have a couple buddies who do the same and even remove their engine covers so mice can't get under them and have a heyday with engine wiring. Always seemed to me the more light and exposure something has the less mice like to bother it.I use poison as well but I just put it in plastic bait station boxes around my shed and one box right underneath the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I go to store and buy Clothes Dryer sheet, 50-100 to a box, I get ones with the strongest scent like violet spring etc, and place these scattered thru out the boat . Mice& rats do not like the odor and stay out. Or u could dump about a dozen moth balls in a old pie tin and place about six of these in boat. Been using the dryer sheet for years and never had a problem, put two boxes in for a 17 foot boat.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Likes ad1974, Crestliner08, short grub LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Moth balls work but you have to freshen them every so often as do the clothes dryer sheets ,they to have to be freshened after a while ....I do know they will reek havoc on a boat and have 2 different buds that got electronics tore up by them . We think one of the culprits was squirrels btw
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Have used dryer sheets for over 10 years now, to protect boat and snowblower from mice and other critters. Inexpensive and they work.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes floppingcrappie, ad1974, short grub LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

From a camping forum so i have no first hand knowledge but they claim cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil wrapped in aluminum foil will keep them away.
    Likes short grub LIKED above post
    Thanks chippo thanked you for this post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mousetrap placed on a 5 gallon bucket lid (or anything similar) loaded with peanut butter placed inside boat. This gets the every time. Squirrels have also been a problem. Shooting them solves the problem. Use air rifle, 22, 357, or 155 Howitzer.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast