Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 foot vs. 16 foot

Post Thanks / Like

Default 15 foot vs. 16 foot

Hello again guys,
    I don't mean to worry y'all to death, but I need to make a decision about which boat and motor to get. I would use the boat for fishing 90% of the time and duck hunting 10% of the time. I realize that it is probably a mistake to ask a boat to do double duty.
    If I go with the 16' most people say I need a 40 hp. If I go with the 15' then a 25 is ok. I fish by myself most of the time, so I really don't need a lot of room. I am thinking of the War Eagle 1648 vs. the War Eagle 1542. A few of the aluminum boat companies offer wider 15'ers.
    I'm trying to get back into fishing without spending a fortune.
    Do any of you fish out of 15 footers or less?
    What are your opinions, and I promise I'll shut-up about this and stop bothering you.
    Thanks,
    TheHawg

Post Thanks / Like

My boat is fiberglass and 15'9". It is okay as long as it is not choppy windy and that such. Also hard with too much tackle in it. I want a 175 tracker at least!!
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 25 hp Yamaha on a 1754 war-eagle and it does OK. If its $$ and your not looking to fly. The 25 will do for both of the boats your looking at.
    My 1754 with aluminum floor and 6 ft gun box, Will run about 25 MPH and that is with a GPS.
    Also my 1754 is rated for a 50 hp.
    Also i would go with at least the 48" bottom .
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 1648 grizzly with a 25 HP on it and it will run 28 MPH with a full live well all my gear and the wife. It does double duty also. I had a dealer tell me that the 25 HP was marginal for the 17 foot boats and out of the question for and 18 footer. He lied. 2 weeks later I saw an 18 by 60 with a 25 on it and it left my 14 by 36 with a 25 on it as if I was paddling.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheHawg
    Hello again guys,
    I don't mean to worry y'all to death, but I need to make a decision about which boat and motor to get. I would use the boat for fishing 90% of the time and duck hunting 10% of the time. I realize that it is probably a mistake to ask a boat to do double duty.
    If I go with the 16' most people say I need a 40 hp. If I go with the 15' then a 25 is ok. I fish by myself most of the time, so I really don't need a lot of room. I am thinking of the War Eagle 1648 vs. the War Eagle 1542. A few of the aluminum boat companies offer wider 15'ers.
    I'm trying to get back into fishing without spending a fortune.
    Do any of you fish out of 15 footers or less?
    What are your opinions, and I promise I'll shut-up about this and stop bothering you.
    Thanks,
    TheHawg
    Hello, TheHawg.......Hard to tell what someone else needs in a boat, but I can tell you what I did in choosing mine. I bought a 16" Monarch hull and outfitted it myself, complete with carpeted decks and floors, console, steering, livewell and everything else I could think of. My worse mistake with that boat was the 25 hp. Mariner I bought for it. Pushed the boat just fine before I added all the weight in modifications and amenities...(before=23 mph, and after=17.5) and regretted the loss in speed. I ran it a couple years with the 25, but then sold the motor and bought a 45 hp. Mariner, which was the max for my boat. I promised myself if I ever bought another boat, It would be with a max rated outboard, something I could outrun a rainstorm or lightning with. That was 20 years past, but she will still push 28 mph. with three in the boat....certainly no speed record, but all I need. Oh, yeah.....I'm also glad I opted for the power trim!!!! :D Just one Louisiana boy's opinion. In the end, Hawg, it's your choice. Main thing is, have some fun doing it!

Post Thanks / Like

Default stick steering

Does any boat makers have a wide body boat with stick steering?
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default boats n motors

I have 16.xx ft Spectrum (tin) with 40 hp mariner. Wish I had bought 70hp which it can handle. Lack of power sucks sometimes, especially if a storm comes up or u are late for supper. I like it, it can handle rough water. It is high and wide for a 16 footer. Don't hunt anymore, but used to. Still have jon boat i used when i was able to hunt. Buy 2 boats. Shop around. Be suprised what u might find.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 15' Fisher Marine with a Johnson 25hp and stick steering that I sold about 8 years ago. It was a pretty good boat, but I could not use the stick if I was by myself. If I sat up front and used the stick while alone, the bow would dig into the water and take on water over the bow. I had to drive it tiller style. I don't know if the newer boats are designed better and if the problem is solved or not. I'm a pretty big boy at 240, so I think stick steering is out for me.
    TheHawg

Post Thanks / Like

I own a Lowe 1448 with a modified 9.9hp four stroke. According to the GPS, it will run 21 mph with just me and 18 mph with a passenger. I recommend looking for a boat with at least 48" bottom width and then get the length and horsepower that fits within your budget.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 14'7" fiberglass with a 25 evinrude. All the speed I need I ama big one myself. I put a whale tail on it and it works great.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast