Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I Pilot link trolling motor on aluminum boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Pilot link trolling motor on aluminum boat?

Does anyone have a I Pilot link trolling motor on an older Bass Tracker?

According to Minn Kotas website, I need about a 40lb thrust motor but unless I've missed something the smallest i Pilot link that I can get a 45" shaft in, is a 80lb TM. Will that TM move my boat slow enough to be effective? I know they are variable speed but I don't know how low the power will go. Total weight with boat loaded, and 2 grown men in it would be way under 2500 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 80# / 60" Ultrex I pilot (no link) on a 1652 G3. With the 20 speed variable motor I can get down to speeds of .01 mph and up to 3.5mph. I can pull crank baits at 1.5 to 2.2mph all day long, 8 hours plus. This time of year when spider rigging I can fish 3 - 4 days a week and never worry about charging the batteries, single pole fishing could go two weeks I bet without a charge. The only problem I face is in any moderate wind is keeping the boat tracking correctly, this is not the fault of the TM and is an issue I hope to remedy with drift socks. So don't be worried about too much motor, and I would consider at least a 54" shaft. I purchased the 60" shaft on the basis of buying a bigger boat one day, no regrets yet.

Post Thanks / Like

80 lb thrust will still do your slow speed just fine. You just won't have it on a very high setting compared to a lower thrust tm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much for the replies. I was worried that an 80# would be too much and not slow down enough for my light boat.

Regarding the shaft length, I'm fairly certain that the TM on my boat now has a 36" shaft, so I don't see that going any length over 45" would be a good idea. It seems that I'd have issues in shallow water, but if there's something I'm thinking of wrong, please straighten me out. I do understand getting a longer one so it will work on a larger boat one day but I don't know if I'll ever upsize bigger than a larger aluminum boat so I don't think that the length would be an issue.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You can use a longer shaft.....on the power drives...terrovas...and the newer ones of that type the shafts adjust.....you just put what you need in the water. I run a 60 inch terrova on my boat no problem. The higher it sticks up the easier it is to pull up and stow. Be aware though the 80 lb. Is 24 volts so you will need room for two batterys and they will need to be the same age...type...size and brand. So that means you cant use the battery you have now and add another one......you could but the battery you have now would pull a new one down to its level and cut your battery life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Northforker, humblerev1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info G. Lucky for me, my trolling motor battery is a new group 31 battery

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get the 12 volt 55 lb thrust with 54 in shaft with link. Going to post a link to one but best to call Brian at BBG marine for best price. Got one without link on my Wareagle and never had a problem.
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/minn-...iABEgIVq_D_BwE
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes "G" LIKED above post