HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Winter dock crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winter dock crappie

Went pay dock fishing today for a small fee for the second time in my life. Caught a few but it took some exacting technique. I caught mine casting but most people were vertical jigging. I had to cast to the adjacent dock row less than a foot away count to exactly 10 and retrieve at just the right speed. It's amazing how finicky crappie can be.

I made this post to ask about crappie behavior. The guys I talked with said fishing will get better the colder it gets. I thought crappie were supposed to retreat to deep channels in winter? What is it about docks make crappie change their natural inclinations?

Post Thanks / Like

Well not all fish will retreat to deep water and every lake is different. In my experience they will go deep when the water temperature hits the 40s but some lakes will be different. The overall depth of the lake will be a factor. On a shallow lake the may just hug the bottom, in deeper lakes that may all go really deep or some will go deep and some will stay a little shallower, on my home lake it is different for the lower end of the and the upper end. Everyone will tell you different things because we all fish different lakes

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks wolfhnd thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

During the winter I can catch them 40ft deep at Lake Fork or 4ft deep in my local creeks. Instead of studying crappie behavior during the cold months study the habit of the shad in your local lake. Follow the shad the crappie will be present every time.
    Likes Slabprowler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I Googled heated fishing docks and they exist on a wide variety of lakes in terms of size and depth. I accept the concept that fish follow their food but that just substitutes shad in the question. I grant that my winter fishing experience is very limited so it could be that docks are no more attractive to shad/crappie than any other structure and that the main appeal is the ease of fishing them effectively.

Post Thanks / Like

Up here in MA, the crappie tend to feed heavily prior to ice up. Then they will suspend in deeper basins where the water temp is more stable for the winter months. In more temperate climes where the water doesn't freeze up solid, their behavior most certainly will be altered, depending on the forage base and it's activity. Just my opinion on what I've experienced in this neck of the woods.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I think the main reason the bite gets better the colder the water gets is due to baitfish die offs in some spots because of the water temperatures dropping to life threatening degrees for shad . This in turn causes them to seek warmer water and some of the docks have a few degrees warmer water . I know for sure every place has a different scenario and in some cases what works in one spot wont work at all in another . I am personally amazed at how fined tuned some of the local folks on docks are when it comes to winter jigging .
    I have visited about 10 pay docks and another 10 or so private docks in the winter myself and if you have a little inside scoop on where and when, the pay off on crappie can be quite good .That said I love to go up in the creek and find them shallow as well and the bait once again goes up in those spots to find warmer water.
    Some spots the bait goes deep in the water out in open water and just sits around deep trying not to die , these spots can be very productive as well if you like to drop a jig deeper than 25 foot . I don't like to drop jigs that deep myself in most cases but it for sure does not mean I wont .
    One thing for certain if you want to ketch crappie year round it pays to have a large bag of tricks .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

I like your theory Ketchn, I have noticed the winter shad die off before. It seems to vary from year to year but the temperature distribution may be fairly uniform.