HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Name my style please

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Name my style please

I'm one of those people who don't pay attention to names, trends, or political correctness. I just go out and fish how I know how to catch fish. You fellas here seem to have a name for everything. What am I doing in "your" terms of style. Usually 2 people in the boat. Each has a side of the boat. Cast cranks about50-60 ft. Hold the pole while the tm runs us at about 1.2mph. Generally do this along contours near the bank. We catch lots of crappie, bass, and walleye this way. Name that tune please?

Post Thanks / Like

just old fashion "trolling"
    Likes silverside LIKED above post

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doggone View Post
    just old fashion "trolling"
    Imagine that... exactly what I have always called it. Guess I know more than I thought

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep .... simple "pole in hand" trolling, and about as old school as it gets .... and effective too !! That's actually how I used to troll for Hybrid Stripers, only with a Crappie jig on a leader behind the crank. We actually caught Crappie on some of the cranks we were using, but thought it was a fluke. That was some 30 odd years ago, well before any of these other "named" trolling techniques were probably even thought up yet.
    But, I still use the "pole in hand" trolling technique, even now, but with a single Road Runner on the line. I usually do it down a bank I'm fishing several spots on, during the pre-spawn to post spawn period, or at other times of the year when I've caught a fish or two in between those spots when I've gone down the bank casting in search mode.

One has to be aware, though, that not all "names" of techniques are specific to that exact way of fishing. Like when someone says they were "tightline fishing" ... they could actually be using a technique that others call by a different name. For me, tightline means the boat is tied off or anchored & the line is straight down from the rod tip ... what my Grandpa called "still fishing". Even the subtle difference between "pushing" and "Spider Rigging" can be confusing. I call them those names when I'm using only jigs & speeds over 0.4mph (pushing) and minnows & speeds less than 0.4mph (spider rigging).
    Thanks silverside thanked you for this post