Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Used only two lures and caught 44 fish in three hours !

Post Thanks / Like

Default Used only two lures and caught 44 fish in three hours !

Since it was the last warm day of the week with air temp above 60, I figured I better get over to the local lake. Lake temperature still above 55 and a cold front was starting to move in starting with rain and wind. Fish weren't relating to shallow areas last time I fished and the bite had been in open water 6-8'. Seeing as how fish go hyper just as a front moves in under dark skies, today did not disappoint. Crappie, sunfish and perch slammed the lures shown below and in those colors:

I've been staying with 1/32 oz jigheads and 10# test braid with a fluorocarbon leader. Casting distance i good and the lure only has to be worked 4' below the surface where the fish were biting. At times, a fish would hit and miss 3 or 5 times after multiple casts and then finally get hooked. I even had a fish hook itself next to the boat after laying down the rod while taking a crappie off the hook ! The two must have followed the bait.

The bites became more frequent once the rain started and wind picked up. Even after things calmed down, the bite was still great 100 yards to the south end with mixed schools of aggressive fish. My final reward was this sunset shot before leaving:

What today tells me is there will be more great days like this and mostly in open water.
    Likes gravelman6, Shad, kycreek, S10CHEVY, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report - thanks! I'm about where you are in MA and am experiencing the same kinds of weather conditions. I think we'll get one more day on the water with the small boat before having to button down the hatches for winter once again. Ugh! I hate winter. lol.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

What is that white grub tail? Looks like a good looking bait. Where do you get them?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Crappie Time

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a nice mess of fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tncrappiebass View Post
    What is that white grub tail? Looks like a good looking bait. Where do you get them?
    I have an aluminum injection-pour mold. At first I thought I should have bought the smaller cavity mold, but fish have told me different for months. The pearl colored lure is from the same mold as the one on the right. The cone tail is a hybrid of joining two lure parts with a candle flame and I'm looking at a mold that can do it in one step.