Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hartwell Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hartwell Crappie

Does anyone on here fish Hartwell regularly? I am looking for some info. I striper fish there alot, but haven't had much luck with crappie. I would like to know where is a good place to start looking for some crappie. I live close to greenville, so I mostly fish up towards anderson, but would like to hear any comments. Thanks, Jdman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdman
    Does anyone on here fish Hartwell regularly? I am looking for some info. I striper fish there alot, but haven't had much luck with crappie. I would like to know where is a good place to start looking for some crappie. I live close to greenville, so I mostly fish up towards anderson, but would like to hear any comments. Thanks, Jdman

I dont fish there, but would like to make a trip or two down that way. Id say what works for us here at wylie would work down your way. Id look for some warm water and have a look around. the deep creek channels pay off good to,, they usually hugging the bottom fairly tight, so tight they dont show up on the dept finder. we drag minnows through em and usually do good, but they dont show up on the finder.. drop offs and ledges are good to.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hartwell crappie

Thanks for the reply Rango. About what depth creek channels should I be looking at? Some of the creeks I fish in are 40-60ft. in the channel. Should I go towards the back of the creek where the channel is say 15-20ft.? Thanks again, Jdman

Post Thanks / Like

I fished there this summer(My folks have a time share) and we caught some nice crappie under the railroad trussel beside a bridge. Not sure where this is on the lake but there can't be too many trussels and bridges side by side. In the spring look for laydowns along the bank. We caught fish both at night as well as daytime but the bite was better at night. Also caught some nice Gar and smallmouth. CK.

Just get him on, then we'll worry about getting him in!

Post Thanks / Like

Default hey Rango

Hey Rango, If you decide to make a trip down here, give me a holler if you need someone to fish with. I know the lake well, but I'd like to hook up with somebody who knows more about how to find them crappie than I do. Jdman

Post Thanks / Like

youre gonna find crappie all over the lake, but my favorite spots to hit with this cold water in daylight hours would be the creek channels in about 30 ft or deeper. last winter we was liftin em out of 52 ft of water, right on the bottom. they pressure change would cause their air bladders to come out their throats and their mouths would be locked open.. after a few minutes in the cooler, their bladders would go down and their mouths would close..
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...