Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling motor Mounting/ inaccessible backing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motor Mounting/ inaccessible backing?

New Terrova going on my 1900cc seapro, 2005. Accessible through anchor locker but not accessible enough to mount quick release plate. Looking for mount extender or toggle bolt style mounting. Opinions?

Red line is about far is accessible. Yellow circle is accessible. Green corners are from mount marking if where it should go. Second pic shows how skinny it gets up front.

Name:  IMG_6867.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  79.6 KB

Name:  IMG_6869.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  127.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

On an application like that, I'd do anything possible to find a way to mount a MinnKota slide plate mount. That would allow you to slide the motor back several inches for docking, running the lake, or trailering but slide forward to operate the motor. You might look into Jack Nuts or one of the other expandable connectors out there.

I have a very similar set-up on my Excel BayPro 203 and wouldn't think of rigging it without the MKA47 MinnKota plate. The MKA47 is now MKA51
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Went with the quick release plate(puck type) since it is cleaner and safer when trolling motor is out and kids are playing on the weekend. After much internet investigation and talking to some people in the area, I went with Fasco Stainless Zip toggles. They were super easy to install after i figured I had to slowly drill out the hole to the 1/2" size the toggle takes. For anyone that is searching.... Start small and work your way up slowly in size. I would run the drill bit in reverse to grind down the gel coat before drilling through the fiberglass. I did jack up the first hole when I went straight to drilling.

The fasco zip toggles are over an inch long with plenty of backing to grab bolt. I plan on checking every month and tightening if I need to. 4 bolts, no issue.

Speaking with several sources the majority didn't like the black rubber well nut type due to the rubber deteriorating and eventually pulling out. No way these pull out, at worst I have to tighten once a year.