Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some of the fish done went winter mode

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some of the fish done went winter mode

I travel around the local areas a bit in search of crappie , mostly off the bank these days but hope to get a boat with a motor soon. Time these days to get after them seems so limited though and even though I might hit 4 lakes in 24 hours I rarely stay long . This said I typically go back to spots that have had a recent bite . I don't know water temperatures via a graph in most cases but can tell when I touch the jig or the fish when the water is cold . I have noticed really cold fish in a lot of spots lately and have found quite few in full blown winter mode . So in order to stay on the crappie I rely on several things , friends who might have found them , scouting on my own and of course returning to winter haunts in hopes they might be there .
    I have found several spots where the fish are in full winter mode in the last week or so, they are in fair numbers so far and the I would imagine its going to get better .what drives the fish in different locations to do things so differently is something that sometimes boggles the mind , but to be sure a large bag of tricks will keep you in hook set mode .
    some of you may have already realized how much I love to ketch crappie under a float and some may also know how much I love my little 6 foot Tica . the action of this particular rod is unsurpassed in my opinion for short fixed float casting and fighting with crappie and when they are under 3 foot deep with a float I cant get enough of the hook sets and fights that ensue .
    so I went back to a spot I have found them on many many occasions once the water gets cold and had a blast blasting them for a second time in the last week . word will get out I am sure at some point and that spot packs with anglers in the winter months , but as of now I am the only one visiting best I can tell .
    18 inches under a float is how they want it water depths ranging from about 3 foot to about 6 foot deep . small presentation on bait right now as the large bait isn't there yet and little flickers and movement get slammed .
    sure is a fun lunch break , all fish released and done the road I go ...
    stay tuned but don't stay thirsty yawl
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Good looking catch..Thanks for posting. BTW which Tica rod do you use?

Zman is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Like the way you tell the story, nice looking catch��

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish and good report.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job Ketchn! All I've got to say is, there ain't a Crappie safe in Texas, with y'all around!
    What time is it? IT'S CRAPPIE TIME!

Post Thanks / Like

Good job! I haven’t been out in almost two weeks, so when I do go it will be hunting em up again!

Post Thanks / Like

think I am going to be like my hero Ketchn and go float fishing today. wtg Outlaw and keep on getting it done.

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch and excellent post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish! Out of curiosity, do you have an idea what the water surface temperature was? I have a feeling cold water in texas might mean something different than it does in central Iowa. I've been having trouble locating the crappie lately.
    Always Be Fishin!
    EatnLunch YouTube Channel: https://goo.gl/hvJCYD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast