HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Spinning Rod That Won't Break the Bank?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Spinning Rod That Won't Break the Bank?

I have a birthday coming up, and I've decided I want to upgrade my crappie arsenal. I'm looking to get something to use as my main jig casting rod. I fish out of a kayak, and my casts are usually short and in or around heavy cover. So, I'm thinking a 6' rod is about what I want.

Anyway, what are some good rods, say sub-$70? I'm thinking light action, 6'(ish), and I'd prefer it to be one-piece. I'll probably be pairing it with a Pflueger President reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Not the length your looking for, but I LOVE my b&m Sam Heaton super sensitive 7ft. rod that I have paired with a president reel. Less than $50.
    Likes ad1974, Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you do a forum search you will find all the info you need to help make your decision about a spinning rod. This subject has been discussed many many times on here.

Regards
    Likes Roy LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My main jig casting rod is a ESP PowerLite 6'6" rod, and I couldn't be happier with it. It does come in a 6' version ... and the only difference in the two is the 6' version does not have the 6" extended handle (poodle tail) ... which in your case would be a plus.

They can be seen here : https://www.norsemenoutdoors.com/pro...wer-lite-rods/ .... but, I'd suggest checking Grizzly Jigs Catalog ( https://www.grizzlyjig.com/skins/ski...es/catalog.pdf ) on pg 28 for a better price (~$55).

I'd also suggest that you buy a rod FIRST, and THEN find the size/model reel you want to put on it !! Because, if it doesn't balance with the rod, it's not going to be much fun to use. I like to put the reel on the rod & then lay them across an outstretched finger ... right at the front tip of the handle or on the blank where it enters the handle. If it pretty much balances on my finger, I'm good with it. If it falls quickly towards the tip or handle, I'm looking at another reel !!

And just a FWIW .... I received the rod free, as a field tester for the VP of Marketing for ESP rods. But, I am in no way beholding to or affiliated with Norsemen Outdoors or any other partner of theirs, including the VP of Marketing.
    Likes eminart LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Those ESP rods are great... I have 2 of the 6ft power lite versions that I throw jigs with...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys! Those rods look like the best option I've seen so far. And thanks for the links, crappiepappy. I'd never heard of grizzlyjig.

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Just pointing out, if you scroll to the bottom of the page there are links to our sponsors. Check that out, just click on them. Grizzlyjig is there. Good luck in your search."D"
    Likes eminart LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the Lew's Wally Marshall pro spinning rod in 6' and it cast well and is one piece. They are about $40.00 at Cabela's. They have the smaller guides, and several of them for the length of rod. It also has the split grip if your into that kind of thing. It balances well with a size 30 president in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Been buying Fenwick for years and putting President reels on them. Best rod & reel combo for around 125. Reel has a little to much retrieve at times. Just don't get exciting and pull the hook out. I generally get the 6 for 6 for reach. Used kayak for years and got use to the length when they run around the boat. It allowed me to reach out and not get caught up in any gear or kayak.

Sent from my XT1585 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the Sam Heaton Super Sensitive in 7' length. A great rod at a very fair price. Check it out at Grizzly Jig for the best price.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast