Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New Depth Finder Mounting Suggestion

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Depth Finder Mounting Suggestion

Ok folks I just got my new Humminbird 777c2 depth finder. My present setup is I have a small Eagle Cuda 242 on the trolling motor and a Lowrance X96 on the transom. I'm replacing (Maybe) the Eagle.
    My question is, should I mount the new Humminbird on the transom and move the Lowrance to the trolling motor??? Or put the Humminbird on the trolling motor??? Or maybe use all three ?????
    Or any other suggestions or setups would be nice. I not sure what to do.
    I fish most of the time alone and always fish from the bow. Also this is going on a 1993 Bass Tracker 17 TX. Thanks for any suggestions on this.

Alan
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Information

The Lowrance transducer is mounted on the transom and unit is mounted at steering console. The Eagle is mounted on the bow and transducer mounted on the trolling motor.
    I didn't think I was clear on the current setup. Thanks for any help.

Alan
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Default Personal preference

Everyone's situation will be different, along with their style of fishing and such. If it was my setup, I'd put the new H'bird color unit on the console and move the Lowrance to the bow. Usually you want your best unit on the console because that is where most people spend most of their time graphing and looking for stumps, brushpiles, creek channels and such. This would especially be true if you had mapping and GPS capability on that unit and not on the Lowrance.

your mileage may vary though...:D

-T9

Post Thanks / Like

I run my best unit on the bow and the lesser unit on the console but my console unit is an Eagle Fishmark 320 and does a good job. I have a Lowrance X97 on the bow and if I want to check out a spot in more detail, then I'll go to the bow with the trolling motor unit and give the spot a good look over. I spider rig a lot. So it is important that I have a good unit up front. If your unit has a GPS or side imaging, then it needs to be on the console where those functions would be better utilized. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

I run the exact same set-up as crappie farmer under the same theory that I want the best unit up front where I fish from and can study while I'm fishing. I could see where someone would want it the other way if they longline troll from the console a lot. Or if you use the gps running or you do look for cover/structure and fish from the console a lot before fishing. I usually run from spot to spot where I usually have cover I've put out or known cover. So I find it while using the TM and the gps I have up front. I'd want my gps up front too if I had to choose. I do idle over areas some and check them out. That's the advantage of having 2 decent units and a hanheld gps I can put where I need it. But if you don't need the gps at the console for running the X96 is more than capable.

Not gonna hijack your thread so crappiefarmer you have a pm
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

best one up front for me too.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Fish,
    Did you use the trolling motor mounting bracket for the eagle? And did ya experience any interference ever. Hope ya didnt mind a few ?? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I used the trolling motor mount on the Eagle. The trolling motor doesn't seem to affect the Eagle. But from time to time it loses the bottom and the depth reading flashes, but this happens with or without trolling motor running. But I had the Eagle on a small Jon boat for a while and may have roughed up the transducer alittle. But this doesn't happen but maybe one or two times a trip and doesn't last but long. When it's reading correct it seems to show contour and depth as good as the Lowrance X96.

thanks
    alan
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll