PDA

View Full Version : #3 Sickle Hook ?

JimmyCricket
10-29-2017, 09:31 AM
Probably my OCD kicking in, but if they made a #3 sickle hook, they could just throw all the rest of them away lol.
#4 always seems a hair small, and #2 a hair big to me. Does anyone make a #3? Also the only ones i have had experience with are the Matzuo ones, are the Eagle Claw little nasty's the same size?

My solution is to use the #4, but bend the gap open just a bit. Still wishing for a #3 though.

bandchaser
10-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Probably my OCD kicking in, but if they made a #3 sickle hook, they could just throw all the rest of them away lol.
#4 always seems a hair small, and #2 a hair big to me. Does anyone make a #3? Also the only ones i have had experience with are the Matzuo ones, are the Eagle Claw little nasty's the same size?

My solution is to use the #4, but bend the gap open just a bit. Still wishing for a #3 though.
The best size to me is the 1/0 sickle hook. You can melt down all the rest to repour for the 1/0 's.
If a 11" crappie will eat a 5" gizzard shad, a 4" to 5" crankbait, then why would they want a even smaller bait?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

CrappiePappy
10-29-2017, 02:53 PM
The best size to me is the 1/0 sickle hook. You can melt down all the rest to repour for the 1/0 's.
If a 11" crappie will eat a 5" gizzard shad, a 4" to 5" crankbait, then why would they want a even smaller bait?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Because they are opportunistic in what they eat, and they don't always chase after 5" long baitfish/prey ... every single one of the dozens upon dozens of >11" Crappie that I've caught, have been on baits less than 2.5" in total length. My hook sizes have ranged from a regular #1 Aberdeen hook to a #4 Aberdeen jig hook. Just my opinion, though.

Wadenthebushes
10-29-2017, 10:54 PM
The eagle claw is a better hook IMO. Because it doesn't break as badly as the Matzou.
I also prefer a bigger hook usually#1 or 1/0.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

lowe175
10-29-2017, 11:46 PM
I use #4s mostly but will use 6s in the nasty stuff. If you fishing open water the bigger hooks are ok. Most of the places I fish you will stay hung up with anything bigger than 4s. The matzou have a wider gap but the eagle claws are made better. If you're doing good with the big hook stay with them but I have flpped them in the boat with #6s . I think you should probably have a few of everything just in case.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

JimmyCricket
10-30-2017, 07:43 AM
I do believe I get a better hook set with the #2, no doubt about that, and I never question the crappie's ability to inhale a larger hook and bait. The #2 just looks out of balance with a lot of the plastics to me. Hearing that many of you like a #1 and even 1/0 gives me confidence that the #2 sure want spook the fish and ruin the lure's presentation. I guess I need to remember that there are no black/chartreuse bait fish to begin with, so why would a another 1/16th of metal turn them off from biting lol.

skiptomylu
10-30-2017, 09:38 AM
I use to catch a lot of big crappie on a really small short jig that was made by Blue Fox and I still have a bunch of them and after last spring I looked for and found them. These jigs are not sold any longer and have not been for a pretty long time now. I took a picture of them for someone so will post it here. You will see just how small these are and keep in mind some are 1/32 and some 1/16 and both are shown here. For size comparison I put the 1/16 Oz head with #4 Sickle hook.

Skip

INTIMIDATOR
10-30-2017, 07:13 PM
I use a #1 in Early Spring and Late Fall in Ohio, and a 1/0 after Spawn until water cools to 45 degrees. 1/16th jig head in shallow water/no wind, and 1/8th in deep water or wind.
3 inch Keitech Easy shiner or swing impact swim bait in Spring, 2 inch easy shiner after spawn hatch, 4 to 6 inch Fat in summer, 3 inch easy shiner in Fall! Our lake is Shad driven.

Fishhunter
11-04-2017, 11:49 PM
A #2 or #4 are common hook sizes for Crappie most 1/16 oz. jigs are made with a #4 and the 1/8 oz. are usually made with a #2 and the hook size hasn't ever been a problem, I have caught small and large crappie on both.

chaunc
11-05-2017, 07:32 AM
A #2 or #4 are common hook sizes for Crappie most 1/16 oz. jigs are made with a #4 and the 1/8 oz. are usually made with a #2 and the hook size hasn't ever been a problem, I have caught small and large crappie on both.
Same here. Iíve caught big crappies on a #6 hook, consistently.

ozarks ranger
11-05-2017, 10:09 AM
On a calm day when we are fishing brush and trees we have 1/16 oz with no. 11 hooks I have landed 2 over 15 inches and many 10 / 12 in. The small jigs don't hang up much and the fish are able to get it past the lips and stay on. Your mileage may vary

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

lowe175
11-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Ozark ranger I agree smaller hooks = less time retieing = more time catching.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)