HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #3 Sickle Hook ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default #3 Sickle Hook ?

Probably my OCD kicking in, but if they made a #3 sickle hook, they could just throw all the rest of them away lol.
    #4 always seems a hair small, and #2 a hair big to me. Does anyone make a #3? Also the only ones i have had experience with are the Matzuo ones, are the Eagle Claw little nasty's the same size?

My solution is to use the #4, but bend the gap open just a bit. Still wishing for a #3 though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCricket View Post
    Probably my OCD kicking in, but if they made a #3 sickle hook, they could just throw all the rest of them away lol.
    #4 always seems a hair small, and #2 a hair big to me. Does anyone make a #3? Also the only ones i have had experience with are the Matzuo ones, are the Eagle Claw little nasty's the same size?

My solution is to use the #4, but bend the gap open just a bit. Still wishing for a #3 though.
    The best size to me is the 1/0 sickle hook. You can melt down all the rest to repour for the 1/0 's.
    If a 11" crappie will eat a 5" gizzard shad, a 4" to 5" crankbait, then why would they want a even smaller bait?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks lowe175 thanked you for this post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bandchaser View Post
    The best size to me is the 1/0 sickle hook. You can melt down all the rest to repour for the 1/0 's.
    If a 11" crappie will eat a 5" gizzard shad, a 4" to 5" crankbait, then why would they want a even smaller bait?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Because they are opportunistic in what they eat, and they don't always chase after 5" long baitfish/prey ... every single one of the dozens upon dozens of >11" Crappie that I've caught, have been on baits less than 2.5" in total length. My hook sizes have ranged from a regular #1 Aberdeen hook to a #4 Aberdeen jig hook. Just my opinion, though.

Post Thanks / Like

The eagle claw is a better hook IMO. Because it doesn't break as badly as the Matzou.
    I also prefer a bigger hook usually#1 or 1/0.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
    Waden
    Likes JimmyCricket LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use #4s mostly but will use 6s in the nasty stuff. If you fishing open water the bigger hooks are ok. Most of the places I fish you will stay hung up with anything bigger than 4s. The matzou have a wider gap but the eagle claws are made better. If you're doing good with the big hook stay with them but I have flpped them in the boat with #6s . I think you should probably have a few of everything just in case.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I do believe I get a better hook set with the #2, no doubt about that, and I never question the crappie's ability to inhale a larger hook and bait. The #2 just looks out of balance with a lot of the plastics to me. Hearing that many of you like a #1 and even 1/0 gives me confidence that the #2 sure want spook the fish and ruin the lure's presentation. I guess I need to remember that there are no black/chartreuse bait fish to begin with, so why would a another 1/16th of metal turn them off from biting lol.
    Likes chimneyman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use to catch a lot of big crappie on a really small short jig that was made by Blue Fox and I still have a bunch of them and after last spring I looked for and found them. These jigs are not sold any longer and have not been for a pretty long time now. I took a picture of them for someone so will post it here. You will see just how small these are and keep in mind some are 1/32 and some 1/16 and both are shown here. For size comparison I put the 1/16 Oz head with #4 Sickle hook.

Skip

Name:  DSC09154.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  63.5 KB

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a #1 in Early Spring and Late Fall in Ohio, and a 1/0 after Spawn until water cools to 45 degrees. 1/16th jig head in shallow water/no wind, and 1/8th in deep water or wind.
    3 inch Keitech Easy shiner or swing impact swim bait in Spring, 2 inch easy shiner after spawn hatch, 4 to 6 inch Fat in summer, 3 inch easy shiner in Fall! Our lake is Shad driven.
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

A #2 or #4 are common hook sizes for Crappie most 1/16 oz. jigs are made with a #4 and the 1/8 oz. are usually made with a #2 and the hook size hasn't ever been a problem, I have caught small and large crappie on both.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhunter View Post
    A #2 or #4 are common hook sizes for Crappie most 1/16 oz. jigs are made with a #4 and the 1/8 oz. are usually made with a #2 and the hook size hasn't ever been a problem, I have caught small and large crappie on both.
    Same here. I’ve caught big crappies on a #6 hook, consistently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast