Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Champion bass boat for crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Champion bass boat for crappie

A guy has a 18 ft. 1978 Champion bass boat w/140 hp Johsnon on it he wants 2500.00 for it, says its in mint condition always stored inside, runs like a champ, new starter battery, live wells/aerators work, all lights work etc.. Said Gel coat is excellent with a few minor scratches..
    Question is does anyone here have one of these older Champions and use it for crappie fishing if so how do you like it, pluses/minuses.. I have a 2006 14 ft. Crestliner SC right now that's in excellent condition and no complaints other then I would like more room.. if I get boat going to swap my Helix 9, Lowarance HDs 7 touch and my Motorguide Xi5 over to it and put my original depth finders back Crestliner.. sold trolling motor so buyer would have to get another one..

Post Thanks / Like

Default pics of boat

few pics of boat
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Likes ad1974, Kingfish1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Send it to me and I will test the heck out of it for you . Seriously I have buds that use them and they work fine
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

P.S. if that’s an old VRO motor disconnect that and mix it yourself and disable the sounder ....word to the wise
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good to me, should be a crappie machine. The price is very right.

Dutchman is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Boat is likely fine . Motor would be the concern. If your not an experienced outboard guy , spend a little money and carry it to a reputable mechanic and let him check it . Like the old saying goes " you pay for the motor and they give you the boat!!!" Good luck !! I love the old vintage boats , they are like a work of art when restored.

Post Thanks / Like

Have the motor checked, compression,etc. Boat looks good from a distance, how's the gel coat? Saw a couple of guys a while back in a new Ranger glass boat and they were crappie fishing, had it rigged up for trolling for crappie, front and back. Told my buddy that you don't see that every day, at least I don't. Good luck with it if you pull the trigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Well at that price it's not a bad deal but that's almost 40y old .I would look it over really good

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

went looked at boat, for the age its in really good shape.. Gel coat was in VG condition with just a few long scratches from rubbing up against something..the Bad is the fact that it actually has no more or less room then my 14ft. Crestliner SC to stand and fish. Not near as many places to put rod holders, no rod storage either.. he has had boat since early last spring and has left it sit outside the whole time, storage compartments had 2 in of water standing in them from not raising jack high enough to let it drain.
    If it would of had more room would of took it to have engine checked out and bought it but no advantage over the Crestliner.
    It would be a good deal if someone gets it before he ruins it leaving it outside uncovered.

Hit enter too soon in previous post and it wont let me edit it..

Post Thanks / Like

If I had that boat the first thing I'd do is remove the front cushions and put in an elevated floor with a live well underneath it. That way you'd have a lot more room up front.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast