Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How Will it Affect the Spawn

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Will it Affect the Spawn

Lakes in central Texas are very low due to a two year drought. Last weekend I caught crappie in water 2 to five foot deep. As of today we have had 6+ inches of rain and the lakes have risen 4+ feet (this is good). Where will the crappie move to due to the sudden rise in the water level and will the dirty water have any effect on the spawn?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Catchafew ......

Quote Originally Posted by catchafew
    Lakes in central Texas are very low due to a two year drought. Last weekend I caught crappie in water 2 to five foot deep. As of today we have had 6+ inches of rain and the lakes have risen 4+ feet (this is good). Where will the crappie move to due to the sudden rise in the water level and will the dirty water have any effect on the spawn?
    My best guess would be :

Those that may have already started spawning, will leave their nests.

Those that have yet to come in to spawn, will seek out the newly flooded cover.

The dirty water wil hold them off for a while ... if they're Black Crappie -- but, if they're White Crappie, "they" may move right in to the really shallow spots. "Muddy" water will suspend all spawning efforts --- dingy or heavily stained water will cause them to spawn very shallow.
    It also depends on how fast, or if, the water level falls back down. The newly flooded banks are also a good place for the Crappie to come to, looking for something to eat (as well as some new spawning cover).

I suspect the ones that were in shallow, before the water rise, are suspended right over where they were to start with ... but, just a few feet below the surface. ............ cp