HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving stakes in lake bottom

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving stakes in lake bottom

Anybody ever build any stake beds by driving wooden stakes into the bottom of a lake?

I got to thinking about the best way to create a lot of cover and I think a stake bed would be it. I could load up 100-200 wooden stakes into my boat and build a post driver with a long handle so I could drive them into the bottom in 10-15' of water. That would be quicker and easier to me than taking out a few at a time in buckets or attached to pallets.

Opinions?
    Likes Martinmike LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FurFlyin View Post
    Anybody ever build any stake beds by driving wooden stakes into the bottom of a lake?

I got to thinking about the best way to create a lot of cover and I think a stake bed would be it. I could load up 100-200 wooden stakes into my boat and build a post driver with a long handle so I could drive them into the bottom in 10-15' of water. That would be quicker and easier to me than taking out a few at a time in buckets or attached to pallets.

Opinions?
    Someone posted about it years back. But it was in 4-5ft. How would the buoyancy at that depth affect the driver? Otherwise go for it

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    Love, what more can I say
    Likes FurFlyin LIKED above post

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  F7675ED6-F560-49E3-AA1F-57E658348A19.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  71.6 KB Yep it works Buckets of Cain works very good also
    Likes mighty, FurFlyin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well if you make it work you might have a $ maker on you hands

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen beds of stakes driven in the mud in a few places where they draw the water down. I guess it works.

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Folks have been doing that for many years.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us
    Likes FurFlyin, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone do something similar in Eastern NC? I have my eye on a nice river that has holes from 10 to 30 feet. Im debating doing concrete blocks with cement and push bamboo into the cement. Probably the cheapest easiest thing I can do besides gather up Christmas trees after the holiday.

Sent from my XT1585 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I found a huge stake bed on ky lake last summer while swimming on my houseboat. Scared the crap out of me because my granddaughters like jumping off the top. Fortunately they didn't that day. Now that I know where it is, I have it marked for fishing
    If you ain't got the time to do it right, you'll never have the time to do it over!

Post Thanks / Like

Stake beds will definitely hold fish! Been thinking about making beds with boo

Post Thanks / Like

I have been doing this for about 3 years on Truman Lake in Missouri. I suggest that you drive fairly close to existing cover or make a huge bed as they are not really easy to verify that you are fishing in the cover. That's both a good thing and a bad thing. If you can't find them think how hard it is for others to find them. Not everyone is adept at 360 or SI.

Get ready for a really good upper body/cardio workout. Even driving them in the silted bottom of Truman will raise heart rate.

My driver is a 10' section of 1.5" plastic with a cap on the end. You don't want it sinking when you drop it. Then a 1.5 to 3" adapter and the business end is a 2' section of 3". Drill several 3/8 or 1/2" holes in the 3" section to allow air to escape. I also cut a piece of 1" oak and screwed into the upper end of the 3" where it attaches to the adapter. This gives a solid, and even spot to whack the stakes.

For smaller stakes I also have one with a 2" piece instead of ther 3"
    Likes Bcline, speck chaser LIKED above post
    Thanks FurFlyin thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast