Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fun with the UL.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fun with the UL.

Hit Nickajack early today thinking the crappie would be at my bank spot........they were not. Much to my surprise the place had plenty of 7-9 inch shell cracker hanging around. After I had been there for about 1.5 hours schooling largemouth showed up busting the surface. I had around 2 dozen or so red ear and about 16 or so largemouth all around the 12-13 inch mark. Rod today was a Major Craft Fine Tail Banshee UL Area trout rod. I had a Bison colored Trout Magnet tied to an 1/16 ounce ball head jig with a #8 hook.......needed that over the 1/64 ounce as the wind was steady at around 15 MPH. Line was 1.5# test “Ester” monofilament with an 18 inch section of 2# test Phantom fluorocarbon leader. The shell cracker were caught “Twitching” the TM across the bottom in 21 feet of water. The bass were caught casting to the busting school and ripping the TM back just under the surface. While the shell cracker are a couple of inches short of what I am used to it felt good to get into them today........been slow year for me and sunfish. Had a lot of fun today.......usually this time of year the place is stacked with crappie.......and usually the fall colors are on the hill sides but not today.......I think we need a little cooler weather. Will hit it again Thursday hoping the crappie have showed up......I think I jinxed myself as I bought the ice for the cooler before I hit the fishing spot.......LOL. Life is good!

Regards

Name:  IMG_0744.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  92.7 KBName:  IMG_1508878115.378291.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  157.2 KBName:  IMG_0748.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  208.9 KBName:  IMG_0750.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  215.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes need2befishin, skeetbum, gravelman6 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the crappie not cooperating, but the shellcracker look great!!
    Life is good. Fishing is better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    The bass were caught casting to the busting school and ripping the TM back just under the surface.
    Do you ever use bigger baits for the bass, like a crappie magnet?

Beautiful scenery and pics!

Post Thanks / Like

Man, those are nice shellcracker. Other than crappie, they are my favorite species to catch especially on light tackle. Pretty good eatin' too...
    Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

Wear that PFD, the life you save might be your own!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Do you ever use bigger baits for the bass, like a crappie magnet?

Beautiful scenery and pics!
    Thanks for the comments. I do throw a Crappie Magnet.....or ThunderHawk Dancer.....and a Fin Commander Slab Curly. But today I only had the Banshee rod with me. If I had the Blue Current would have done it in a heartbeat. The Banshee is a soft action rod with a fast tip. That place has the Florida strain largemouth and they are big. This time of year when I catch a bluegill I always have to deal with one of those big Florida strain as they will grab it off the ledge as I am fighting it in.....sometimes they will grab an 11 inch crappie. It happened today....one of those grabbed a 9 inch red ear and it was quite a commotion. They will always eventually let it go but I am always surprised how long they will play the tug of war with me for that fish. Going back Thursday......weather permitting.....and will take the Blue Current in case the bass start busting again.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    ...and will take the Blue Current in case the bass start busting again.
    My Blue Current got a workout this past weekend. Had eighty gills, crackers and crappie (mostly gills.) Best rod I've ever used.

A few weeks ago, I hooked some big catfish. Unfortunately, they snagged me on some brush and broke off. I have landed cats up to about 4# on the Blue Current, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like fun to me ...
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Great job and flexibility on your part to adapt to species and conditions.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fun place to fish