HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Gulp Minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gulp Minnows

Unfortunately my route to the local lake does not contain a convenient source for the real deal, so imitation minnows will have to suffice. I bought a package of 3"ers today and have a jar of 2" Gulp minnows already, and would like to try them.

For those that use them, what is your favorite setup on the business end? Regular hook, split shot, slip float? Jig head/float, or just a jig? If the latter, vertical presentation or cast and retrieve?

Post Thanks / Like

Never tried gulp in freshwater. I did use gulp a lot on salt water when I was younger fishing in a kayak in salt water marshes and had good results. I would be interested in how you do in freshwater.

Sent from my XT1585 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Atimm693 View Post
    Unfortunately my route to the local lake does not contain a convenient source for the real deal, so imitation minnows will have to suffice. I bought a package of 3"ers today and have a jar of 2" Gulp minnows already, and would like to try them.

For those that use them, what is your favorite setup on the business end? Regular hook, split shot, slip float? Jig head/float, or just a jig? If the latter, vertical presentation or cast and retrieve?
    I've used gulp while single poling with some success.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
    Waden

Post Thanks / Like

Jig head + soft plastic + cast and retrieve = success
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Tried them during the spawn and the fish would pull the bobber under and spit out the bait without a hook set.

Post Thanks / Like

The lil ones are deadly on a jighead
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Thanks hdhntr thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Most of my many years of fishing have focused on many different species. A good part of it was targeting smallmouths. And drop shotting.

One season we used Gulp minnows on the drop shot along with regular plastic worms and imitation plastic minnows. Fishing side by side with my partner, I found that the Gulp was actually less productive than regular plastics each and every time I tried to compare them, considering actual strike ratios. So, I gave up on them.

The other thing is that they became hard when traveling from spot to spot. They have a tendency to dry out rapidly if not kept submerged in the Gulp liquid. I do hope they work out well for you. Please do let us know what your experiences are.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

had a buddy who was fixated on using them instead of minnows and is stubborn so went thru a long dry spell of not catching many fish. then he gave up on them and fished with regular plastics and did much better. only experience I know.