Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Old fishing book knowledge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old fishing book knowledge

Me and Pops were down in Camden, SC junk pickin recently(he was hoping to find a part for his Shakespeare wondertroll) and I found a heck of a deal. The complete fishing collection of the Hunting and Fishing Library books from the 80's me thinks for 20 bucks. Even though the clothing fashion is out of style, fisheries better then, and tackle is outdated, do you ever find the advice, tips, and knowledge still valuable in this modern day fishing world?
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

I've got some old books about crappie fishing from the 80s and 90s that my dad had and he wrote in them and made notes. The information is common knowledge now but I wouldn't take a anything for them because my dad wrote in them and he is no longer with me so I really treasure them. I'm sure if you read them you might find a tip or two. If nothing else it has nostalgia. Good find!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I've got several series of older fishing publications, which still prove to be invaluable to me at times. The No. 1 being the book entitled, "Spoonplugging" by Elwood "Buck" Perry. Buck was/is the father of structure fishing and his treatise on structure stands undisputed to this day. Anyone fishing for any species of fish, must understand the basics of structure and how fish relate to it, in order to be successful. This book has all you need to know and it's still published to this day!

Another priceless series I have is the old "Blue Books" by Bill Binkleman. The series targets mainly walleye and bass, jig fishing and structure, but the premises of Bill's approach are still valuable today, regardless of what you fish for.

Finally, the last "old" book I have is the "Big Book of Fishing", by Al Lindner and Bill Binkleman. Got this book back in the early 70's and it dealt with what became the In-Fisherman's formula for success; F + L + P = Success! There is a ton of wisdom in these old books that many fishermen of today have failed to read and heed. Today, it appears that electronics and gadgets have taken the place of experience and learning. Sad.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lowe175 View Post
    I've got some old books about crappie fishing from the 80s and 90s that my dad had and he wrote in them and made notes. The information is common knowledge now but I wouldn't take a anything for them because my dad wrote in them and he is no longer with me so I really treasure them. I'm sure if you read them you might find a tip or two. If nothing else it has nostalgia. Good find!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    God Bless you lowe175.....long live all the memories pal.
    Likes Beavz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The old in fisherman books are great some still in print.The 80 s put out some good books and videos.

Sent from my XT1565 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Share the outdoors with our Children.The world will be a better place.

Post Thanks / Like

Crestliner08, I'm a fan of Buck Perry's teachings as well. I used to subscribe to Fishing Facts magazine, where Buck Perry was a regular contributor. So much of what I learned from him still applies to fishing 40 years later. Mr. Perry's lessons definitely makes me look at land above water and try to imagine where the fish might like to spend time if it were under water.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

No...there was no real human intelligence prior to the invention of the internet....and I think Al Gore invented that.

The real difference now is people spend three times as much money on ten times more technical devices and a thousand more choices to catch half as many fish