HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: what am I doing wrong

Post Thanks / Like

Default what am I doing wrong

Planned the trip to Washington NC Tranners Creek it's about an hour from Tarboro. Got up late since the wife was going to come. I enjoy when she goes. Got in the water found my new minnow pump had quit, battery wire broke. Started to deploy my lines and my pencil corks sank. Crap to much weight. I had a jig on the end and a hook about 2 feet up tied on for a minnow. Adjusted 4 poles got them out. Started putting my 12-foot poles out the front and before I knew it there was a knot on one end and another was tied up in the trolling motor. By now my nerves are shot. My wife is asking what can she do to help. I know she means well but it is just better to sit and let me fix the problems. Ok I put away the long poles and we changed lures and began to just cast two lines to see what we could find. I hooked a 12-inch flounder as we moved out of the creek into the main part of the river. We trolled slowly and I hooked a 17 inch rock. The rest of the day we trolled for rock and cast around bridges with no luck.

I guess going with the wife or by myself I need to just use a few poles so I do not get frustrated. trying to work all the lines, trolling motor and watch the depth finder to keep us off the bottom was just too much to enjoy. any suggestions on how to simplify my fishing day?
    Thanks Dr Speck thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I could tell you. We all have them days. I love my wife and I love her to fish with me but when things aren't going well she seem to make it worse. Don't know why but we seem to take out our frustrations on our wife's

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Likes chimneyman LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to learn more when I fish alone, especially when trying new techniques. Less to concentrate on and the little things getting out of whack are noticed easier for me. Sounds like it was good all in all with finding a few flatties to play with.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I love it when my wife goes as well. For some reason it seems anytime there's a 2nd person in the boat things just don't go right. When it's my son it's not as bad, for one he has the experience to know what to do in these situations. The wife on the other hand. That's why when she goes I make sure to keep it very simple. We single pole, in spots I'm pretty sure there's fish, with minimal brush. Even if we're not slaughtering them the conversations and attitudes stay in an acceptable range. I will try, every trip, to teach her a new technique as well. But I do not fish with her, just coach. Every trip gets easier for the both of us.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I helped an older couple load up a sailboat, I was totally relaxed as I had no plans just standing on the dock. I could tell both of them were wound up and they both admitted it. I think when we go fishing some or most of the times we get in a hurry, get excited etc.... I am not sure how to contain this but at age 50 I am starting to notice this more. I have made several mistakes this year because I was in a hurry or felt rushed.
    Likes Redge, BarryG LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The wife is a great person good heart, loves animals and I love her. I guess I get caught up in being the cave man to provide. She says it's all about the experience together. I should just calm down fish with a few poles and enjoy the time

Sent from my XT1585 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chadwiggins View Post
    I love it when my wife goes as well. For some reason it seems anytime there's a 2nd person in the boat things just don't go right. When it's my son it's not as bad, for one he has the experience to know what to do in these situations. The wife on the other hand. That's why when she goes I make sure to keep it very simple. We single pole, in spots I'm pretty sure there's fish, with minimal brush. Even if we're not slaughtering them the conversations and attitudes stay in an acceptable range. I will try, every trip, to teach her a new technique as well. But I do not fish with her, just coach. Every trip gets easier for the both of us.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Im just to critical of myself. If we don't catch fish I feel I failed.

Likes Beavz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lowe175 View Post
    Wish I could tell you. We all have them days. I love my wife and I love her to fish with me but when things aren't going well she seem to make it worse. Don't know why but we seem to take out our frustrations on our wife's

Yea, I seem to get emotional and express my failure in anger at myself. Fishing should be fun, not frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like

And she is correct!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lowe175 View Post
    And she is correct!

Why does she have to be correct? Im the man with the pants? Lol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast