PDA

View Full Version : what am I doing wrong

firefly2061
10-23-2017, 04:02 PM
Planned the trip to Washington NC Tranners Creek it's about an hour from Tarboro. Got up late since the wife was going to come. I enjoy when she goes. Got in the water found my new minnow pump had quit, battery wire broke. Started to deploy my lines and my pencil corks sank. Crap to much weight. I had a jig on the end and a hook about 2 feet up tied on for a minnow. Adjusted 4 poles got them out. Started putting my 12-foot poles out the front and before I knew it there was a knot on one end and another was tied up in the trolling motor. By now my nerves are shot. My wife is asking what can she do to help. I know she means well but it is just better to sit and let me fix the problems. Ok I put away the long poles and we changed lures and began to just cast two lines to see what we could find. I hooked a 12-inch flounder as we moved out of the creek into the main part of the river. We trolled slowly and I hooked a 17 inch rock. The rest of the day we trolled for rock and cast around bridges with no luck.

I guess going with the wife or by myself I need to just use a few poles so I do not get frustrated. trying to work all the lines, trolling motor and watch the depth finder to keep us off the bottom was just too much to enjoy. any suggestions on how to simplify my fishing day?

lowe175
10-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Wish I could tell you. We all have them days. I love my wife and I love her to fish with me but when things aren't going well she seem to make it worse. Don't know why but we seem to take out our frustrations on our wife's

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

skeetbum
10-23-2017, 07:27 PM
I tend to learn more when I fish alone, especially when trying new techniques. Less to concentrate on and the little things getting out of whack are noticed easier for me. Sounds like it was good all in all with finding a few flatties to play with.

chadwiggins
10-23-2017, 07:50 PM
I love it when my wife goes as well. For some reason it seems anytime there's a 2nd person in the boat things just don't go right. When it's my son it's not as bad, for one he has the experience to know what to do in these situations. The wife on the other hand. That's why when she goes I make sure to keep it very simple. We single pole, in spots I'm pretty sure there's fish, with minimal brush. Even if we're not slaughtering them the conversations and attitudes stay in an acceptable range. I will try, every trip, to teach her a new technique as well. But I do not fish with her, just coach. Every trip gets easier for the both of us.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Potatoe
10-23-2017, 07:51 PM
I helped an older couple load up a sailboat, I was totally relaxed as I had no plans just standing on the dock. I could tell both of them were wound up and they both admitted it. I think when we go fishing some or most of the times we get in a hurry, get excited etc.... I am not sure how to contain this but at age 50 I am starting to notice this more. I have made several mistakes this year because I was in a hurry or felt rushed.

firefly2061
10-23-2017, 08:01 PM
The wife is a great person good heart, loves animals and I love her. I guess I get caught up in being the cave man to provide. She says it's all about the experience together. I should just calm down fish with a few poles and enjoy the time

Sent from my XT1585 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

firefly2061
10-23-2017, 08:02 PM
I love it when my wife goes as well. For some reason it seems anytime there's a 2nd person in the boat things just don't go right. When it's my son it's not as bad, for one he has the experience to know what to do in these situations. The wife on the other hand. That's why when she goes I make sure to keep it very simple. We single pole, in spots I'm pretty sure there's fish, with minimal brush. Even if we're not slaughtering them the conversations and attitudes stay in an acceptable range. I will try, every trip, to teach her a new technique as well. But I do not fish with her, just coach. Every trip gets easier for the both of us.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Im just to critical of myself. If we don't catch fish I feel I failed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

firefly2061
10-23-2017, 08:04 PM
Wish I could tell you. We all have them days. I love my wife and I love her to fish with me but when things aren't going well she seem to make it worse. Don't know why but we seem to take out our frustrations on our wife's

Yea, I seem to get emotional and express my failure in anger at myself. Fishing should be fun, not frustrating.

lowe175
10-23-2017, 08:04 PM
And she is correct!

firefly2061
10-23-2017, 08:06 PM
And she is correct!

Why does she have to be correct? Im the man with the pants? Lol.

lowe175
10-23-2017, 08:07 PM
My wife will also get mad at me when things aren't going good for her as well so we just learn to look over it and we'll make up later.

lowe175
10-23-2017, 08:18 PM
I've also got where if my wife go's we do something easy like when you take a kid. My wife will not go shoot docks with me is just to hard for her. But if we're trolling or just casting she's in.

firefly2061
10-23-2017, 08:26 PM
Agreed. I need to make it an easy day so I don't get wound up tight

EarlWaynetom
10-23-2017, 08:41 PM
Amen . If I canít relax. I want go.

firefly2061
10-23-2017, 08:43 PM
You would think at 49 I would learn to slow down and relax enjoy the day.

sinkermaker
10-23-2017, 08:46 PM
First of all keep it simple and before you go take 2 anti a------ pills to calm you down. That is what the wife calls my antidepressant pill that I have to take because of ptsd from Vietnam.

Lloakley930
10-23-2017, 09:01 PM
My wife doesnít even fish with me. I like the advice to stay simple and teach a new technique each time. Make it fun for her and she will be hooking the boat up for you wanting to go fishing . *fingerscrossed*

firefly2061
10-23-2017, 09:02 PM
Thanks for being in the service and standing with your brothers. I was a crew chief in the army on Blackhawks. Now im a fire Marshall and u spent 20 years as a shift firefighter. I understand about PTSD. Hang in there my friend. U blame myself for things I shouldn't.

firefly2061
10-23-2017, 09:04 PM
Not sure why it posted u instead of I . Must be that it is to close together.

Ketchn
10-24-2017, 06:07 AM
Some days just go that way , I try not to let it bother me , that’s my 2 cents ....life is short my friend

Fish on Line
10-24-2017, 12:23 PM
It might be OK to be a Cave Man once in a while ---- We have a Tendency to Feel Like when we go Fishing, If there is not good fishing The Wife might think that Time is spent with some long LOST GIRLFRIEND.... Try to rethink all that bad Karma is a good thing and S--T happens in bunches because there is a lesson that we have not Learned --- Therefore the lesson has to be repeated. Throw out the Anchor --and go give Her a Hug !!! Fish in the other direction with the Wind when the Anchor is back in the Boat

ET Fish
10-24-2017, 12:37 PM
Trolling is too much like work for me. My OCD and trolling just don't get along! My wife is my fishing partner, and often out catches me (a whole different kind of anxiety!). She will attempt to shoot docks, and is actually pretty good when she gets warmed up. She is also usually working at least 2 rods, which I struggle with while running the TM. Sometimes there are words in anger and frustration, but after 36 years of marriage, it's like water on a duck's back!

Fish on Line
10-24-2017, 12:45 PM
FROM FISH-ON-LINE'S WIFE: I understand that none of you intended to be insulting but you did anyway. Multiple comments: "Keep it simple". Are you serious? Are your wives idiots or did you accidentally make them sound that way? Or maybe that's why you married them? When Larry and I met, I had 6 rods and reels and my own tackle box that I had used for years. Don't be so condescending to your wives and expecting things to go utterly wrong and fishing might be more relaxed. You get what you expect.

ET Fish
10-24-2017, 12:56 PM
Hopefully the last post wasn't aimed at me? Nevertheless, ET Fish, over and out.

lowe175
10-24-2017, 02:01 PM
I think your taking that wrong. My wife is not a very experienced fishermen, she just go's to spend time with me and I try not to use techniques that are complex that's all we where saying.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

chadwiggins
10-24-2017, 02:26 PM
FROM FISH-ON-LINE'S WIFE: I understand that none of you intended to be insulting but you did anyway. Multiple comments: "Keep it simple". Are you serious? Are your wives idiots or did you accidentally make them sound that way? Or maybe that's why you married them? When Larry and I met, I had 6 rods and reels and my own tackle box that I had used for years. Don't be so condescending to your wives and expecting things to go utterly wrong and fishing might be more relaxed. You get what you expect.
From the "one" that said keep it simple......

It was not meant as an insult. However what you just said was. My wife was raised in the city. She had no idea what hunting and fishing was all about until we married. That dont make her an idiot. Yes she did go fishing with me up until we had kids. After that she choose to stay at home or where ever we was at to take care of the kids while I fished... her choice. Still don't see where she's an idiot. Once the boys got old enough to go with me once again she choose to stay....her quiet time. Still don't make her an idiot. Now that the boys are out and on their own, she is now my fishing partner. She lacks the experience and needs to be taught to fish, just as someone may have taught you. Lack of knowledge makes no one an idiot. Your husband came here and posted this thread in what I and many others took as looking for advice. That's what he's getting.

So you coming on here and calling people and/or their wives idiots truly makes you look the idiot.

PEACE!

deathb4disco
10-24-2017, 02:31 PM
Women can't help it. They are irrational and emotionally fragile, or so they told me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CuqDQ7B93I

Beavz
10-24-2017, 03:54 PM

I'm VERY guilty of this...:scratchhead

lowe175
10-24-2017, 04:50 PM
I'm sorry to say I am too. Lucky for me I have a very understanding wife and she is guilty as well if something goes wrong at home it's my fault. I just say your right dear lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

firefly2061
10-24-2017, 05:57 PM
Ditto.

firefly2061
10-24-2017, 06:14 PM
Keeping it simple just meant that I should not try to spider rig with multiple poles and put out four more pokes on the rear for her to watch. All that just makes a lot of stress on me in a small crowded boat. It would be better to go back to work and crickets for brim. We both have more fun less stress. My wife is definitely not an idiot. She is a director of nursing and an RN. She rehads animals and dedicated a tremendous amount of time to helping animals.

I think your taking that wrong. My wife is not a very experienced fishermen, she just go's to spend time with me and I try not to use techniques that are complex that's all we where saying.

ET Fish
10-24-2017, 07:22 PM
I feel you started a very good post, and have been more than respectful. I personally thank you for adding to this great site, and I am sorry that things turned the way they did. Please keep posting. Please keep fishing with your wife. Fishing is one of the favorite pastimes of my wife and I. We make a good team on and off the water, as I’m sure you and your wife do.

Dewey
10-25-2017, 05:28 AM
My wife fishes 2 to 3 times a year.Yes i keep it simple.I set her up to catch fish. one rod casting a Trout Magnet or Slider grub.I want her to catch as many fish as possible and 9 times out of 10 she out fishes me.I enjoy teaching people who don't get to fish much how to catch fish.
All people have different levels of fishing expertise.Help them to be successful and you will have many great days.

RogerA
10-25-2017, 06:03 AM
My wife and I have been fishing crappie tournaments together for the last 18 years and she has been the best partner I could ask for. I do agree that not all wife's like to fish and some are just not interested in fishing. I do like the fact that they want to spend time with the husband even if they don't want to fish. Keep doing what makes you happy. Life is too short to not enjoy it a little along the way. :fish

ozarks ranger
10-25-2017, 08:29 AM
You have to know the 4 dears ( yes dear, no dear, your right dear and my fault dear.)[emoji15]happy wife happy life when you want to go fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com