Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: weedless jig heads

Post Thanks / Like

Default weedless jig heads

I used a weedless jig head while fishing brush piles the other day. I lost a nice fish. He got off and I was wondering if the weedless jig had any thing to do with it. I was using the wire kind that just covers the hook. Is there a better weedless jig or do you think it was just a bad hook up. Thanks for any input....crappie1133

Post Thanks / Like

I would think there could be numerous reasons why you lost the fish, with the jighead being one. I use weedless, have lost fish, but the typical reason is the “junk” that caused me to go weedless to begin with (limbs to wrap and pull, etc). I’ve also lost them on non weedless heads. I like a #2 hook. Yes, it is more likely to hang, but also more likely to hook in the roof of the mouth.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My bet would be that it wasn't a solid hookup. But, like ET Fish says, it could have been any number of reasons. I've been using weedless jigheads for decades, and once stuck I don't remember losing many fish in all that time.

How soon after you set the hook did the fish get off ?? That may give us some indication of why/how it got loose.