HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UV blast! Products

Post Thanks / Like

Default UV blast! Products

is this a sales pitch or do UV lures really make a difference?

Also which one to use? Spray, worm dip, marker? I would wanna use the clear coat on my jig heads, but then what about the powder paint?

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just started using the powder on my jig heads. Haven't fished enough with them to make a good observation. But under a black light and not real dark in my shop they really pop with it applied. So if UV rays penetrate very deep it is bound to help to a degree.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet, im liking the idea just would like to hear a few stories on what to get what not to get or if its worth it but so far everything is giving me a thumbs up on ordering some
    Thanks j2will thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience with the uv baits it works in deep water on bass. I really haven't seen a difference on crappie. I think is because I never catch crappie deeper than 15ft or so. UV comes into play deeper than that. I make soft plastic baits for myself and have used UV in them but like I said I can't tell any difference.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

For me Florescent chenille and feathers make as much as difference for crappie and also expends the distance the color can be seen in water like UV does. UV probably extends it more than just a FL color, but when talking about the distance here I don't think it matters much.

Now if you fish soft plastics and want to make them UV, then get the Worm Dip as that is for soft plastics. I don't care as much about the powder version even though I have it, but we are just talking the head here and I believe the rest has more to do with it!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!
    Likes Crappiedayz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If it boosts your confidence and allows you to focus on your presentation, with high expectations, then it will be value-added to you.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I played with it quite a bit when I owned my jig business. It was all the rage in the beginning but many of my customers found that it did not increase their catch rates. This was particularly for walleye.

It is a catch 22 to be honest with you. Deeper water would be when you would want to have more UV application to make the bait pop but the issue is the amount of sunlight that gets to that layer in order to do so. The better products on the market are glow type products. Unfortunately, many people do not own the proper lighting necessary to make these things react the way that they should. I've used products that glow for 5 minutes and products that glow for eight hours.

Photoluminescent powder bases and other products mixed in with soft plastics is a much better alternative. I've tested products from H2OHammer and the glow within his baits that he has custom made for me have lasted 8 hours.

I have two tricks that I use.
    1. When a tournament starts off in the early morning, I take all of my lighted baits (plastics or otherwise) and put them in a dark storage area with a special light designed to enhance the glow of the baits.
    2.When the sun comes up, every bait comes out of that compartment and out on to the dash to gather the natural light from the sun. With this, I have baits that last 8 hours or longer simply by being charged with the sun.

Honestly, I could care less what my jig head does, I am more concerned with the bait attached to it. This statement alone got a lot of my customers thinking, and in pretty short order, the UV blast rage was all but gone from their vocabulary
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes Crappiedayz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting. I was reading on google about which types of fish could possibly see uv, the best one I read said the perch family, walleye, and other related fish has this ability in order to see zooplankton better and find food in dark water.

I usually throw a glow jig head with a soft plastic to match the water color, not sure why but i was losing confidence in my glow baits. Thinking "sure they glow but how much do they glow?". One thing i do know is that for me on cloudy days i notice that on my glow jigs the hookups were much more aggressive and fast paced

im thinking the soft plastic dip with a glow head will get some attention, I like to think that when my jig darts behind a branch or goes into the dark muddy waters it turns into a signal flare haha.

Post Thanks / Like

I have made Glow Jigs for something like 10 - 12 years now and a couple years ago I even posted on here how to make them and a few have. These will glow as long as any there are and even though the 8 hours comes into this, after a little while it will not be near as bright as they start out, but a trip to the surface will help that fast as the sun will charge them up again! A good UV light will also charge them as bright as can be very fast. I find them also good in the day time also, I mean in most lakes once your down 10 feet it's dark as can be and really doesn't need to be all that dark to pop big time. Below are several pictures I just re-captured from Photobucket to show these. Each picture is just me holding he4m under the desk enough to get in the shade with out ever turning the over head room light off.

Skip

Name:  DSC03389 copy.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  241.6 KBName:  DSC03393 copy.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  103.9 KBName:  DSC00385.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  82.0 KBName:  IMG_1986.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  98.3 KB

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!
    Likes Dutch552, Crappiedayz, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

So far I have had very good luck using UV treated materials for my jigs. I try to put at least a little something UV on each one even if its just a few strands of UV flash in the tail.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Likes Crappiedayz, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast