Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Farm pond 101 ....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Farm pond 101 ....

I have a couple of agricultural farm ponds that they use to water the fields with that I visit from time to time . they have been long forgotten by fishermen and sit there waiting just for me . The ponds are pretty shallow and stay fairly turbid most of the year . I hit these 2 ponds for at least 2 years before I even knew there were crappie in them . Never saw one until I managed a slab on a pc. of cut bait off a bluegill while I was ketchn catfish .
    Of course the gloves came off at that point and I only target crappie in them now . So some 5 years later of chasing crappie in them still have me confused from visit to visit . Some visits you would swear there isn't a crappie in them , other times you ketch one or 2 lil bitty ones . The spawn time there isn't very productive and the winter is dead as a door nail . the summer visits are pretty tough as well most visits .
    The one season that seems to be best there is the fall when the water gets just a little clearer and even then it can be very very tricky to ketch them .Now that said they get lock jaw most times on north winds and high pressure and it seems a strong south wind is best . This coupled with very early in the morning can be quite productive , but I never really get there early most of the time .
    There are no bass in them and very few catfish , but they are some kind of loaded flat full of green sunfish and hybridized sunfish from them crossing with the native bluegill that are fairly abundant as well .
    Float fishing is most of the time the most effective presentation and sometimes a vertical drop around the rocks and other stuff along the shoreline is good as well . the crappie will always be on the wind blown side when its windy and sometimes very close to the bank as well . So here I go , high noon windy and a float about 18 inches deep . the sunfish are driving me bonkers and tearing up my plastics and giving me fits . I hooked so many I wasn't even trying to ketch it wasn't funny . I have learned from past experiences that only really solid hard bites and pulls are worth setting the hook on and even then it might be just a larger greenie .
    So I cast and drag along the shoreline this trip as this is where they seem to be and at one point one of the larger crappie ejects a partially digested green sunfish . So always keep in mind this , crappie feed on whatever the food source is that's available and in farm ponds it typically isn't shad . Earthworms sometimes work there and in many cases something that resembles a small bluegill size wise as well .
    Hit it for about an hour at lunch time before the front blew thru last night and had a pretty good time . All the larger crappie were in about 2 to 3 foot of water near the bank and all the lil bitty crappie escaped the photos .Fish were really hungry though and even the small sunfish ate large offerings , no tipping of jigs this trip and all fish were left to swim on .
    note expelled 3 inch green sunfish in the last photo
    stay tuned but don't stay thirsty ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes gravelman6, Redge, hdhntr, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

That was a good trip for a short one, plenty enough to make a man smile.

I lived in Lawton, OK back in the70's for 10 months. While there I was challenged fishing like I was used to here in FL, and mostly chased green carp back then. I was shown a few waterholes used for livestock, some small enough I could cast from end to end without much effort. At times, some of them had crystal clear water and I could watch the entire cast and how the fish would react to differences in the retrieve. I learned a lot about their behavior. A steady retrieve and a jerk when they noticed it would generate a strike or a real close look see. Friends took me to another pond that was much bigger, saying that they caught several BIG fish out of there, some of the bass weighed over 2lbs. I didn't have the heart to tell them I didn't think of that as big at the time. So I went with them one Saturday and Sunday. Caught a 4 1/2 and a 5 on Sat. and a 6lb on Sunday. They didn't take me to any of their other fishing holes. I look back on that now and wonder what kind of Crappie I could have enjoyed out of some of the bigger ones. I used an UL rig with 4lb line but never caught a big crappie while I was there. I' would bet a little money that I would have cleaned up if I had known just a little of what I know now. Thanks for bringing those memories back for me. I had quite a time regardless.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Redge, bwest90 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice white crappie Ketchn but if your not going to eat them you should throw them on the bank. White crappie will ruin smaller ponds and are not recommended for impoundments smaller than 50 acres.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LongTom View Post
    Nice white crappie Ketchn but if your not going to eat them you should throw them on the bank. White crappie will ruin smaller ponds and are not recommended for impoundments smaller than 50 acres.
    That’s what I have always heard and seen it one time myself , but here in lies the dilemma , the 2 ponds they are in have been like they are for 20 plus years and no body is managing the fish in them or even visits them to fish in them , I have been going 7 years myself alone to them and the crappie are thriving in them and there are monsters and lil bitty ones and every size in between ....so it seems not all you here and see is always factual
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

When we built a pond in the late 60's the fish and game said to never throw back a bream. Throw them out on the bank if we weren't going to keep them.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you are having fun. Good report.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.