Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spinning rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default spinning rod

been out of fishing for quite a few years and looking to get some new gear for crappie fishing. think I am decided on a reel, either phlueger president or supreme 2500 model. now looking for advise for a rod for it to ride. I will primarily be fishing off of a dock. I do not have a fishing boat. for this reason I was thinking about something light action under 6'. don't really want to go super expensive or definitely not the cheap route either. what suggestions you have? thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

There are about 3.2 million rods that would work for you.

What's your exact budget? Under $50? $50-$100? Over $100?
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

up to $150.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by punchy View Post
    up to $150.
    St. Croix Premier 5'6" light action, $120 -- excellent rod:

St. Croix Rods | Premier Spinning | Freshwater
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If I was restricted to dock or shore to fish from ... I wouldn't go shorter than 6'6" for a rod. Casting distance and the ability to take up slack (& line stretch) on the hookset is why. And I'd stay in the med power category, and a fast action tip.

If I was going to be using a slip float ... forget rods with micro guides.
    If I was going to be using a fixed float ... forget rods <7' long.

And if you already have the reel, or have your mind made up about a specific one ... you need to match the rod length with the reel weight, so that the outfit balances. When put together, if it will balance on your outstretched finger at the front end of the handle, then it's gonna be less tiring to use and less stressful on your wrist/arm.

DB4D is correct .... we'd need to know a $$ range before suggesting any brand/model. Whether something is considered expensive or cheap is relative to what one can afford.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess to clarify more. when I said fishing from dock, there are 2 community boat docks I will be fishing from. that is why I think I want something shorter so it would be easy to maneuver between boats under dock.

Post Thanks / Like

For 115 to 150 bucks you can get an UL or L rod out of Japan that will be far better than anything you can get here for same money.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got lots of spinning rods, but they were all bought for salt water fishing, and even the lightest action ones are a tad much for speck fishing. So over the last year or so ive been buying new rods in the light and ultra lite action category. Two have been the Fenwick eagle model which I paid about $70 dollars each for and another Fenwick which I paid slightly over $100 for. I wanted another in the 6'6" to 7' size but decided to look at other brands. Browsing on Ebay I came upon a rod that I liked the sound of as for specs, but made by Okuma.
    I was familiar with the name of coarse but never had owned anything of that brand. But for under $35 for the 6'6" Celilo model including the shipping cost, I decided I could afford to gamble a bit. I was shocked when it came and I unpacked it, as to how nicely made it is.
    So much so I bought another just like it in 8'6" that I intend to use for jigging. I would suggest going on Ebay and having a look.
    Also go to the Okuma website and browse their entire line which of coarse also includes more expensive models.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two 7ft Okuma Celilo rods and like stated they are good rods for the money. For crappie I like at a medium light rod with a 1000 or 1500 series spinning reel.

Post Thanks / Like

The pflueger 25 size reel is a ultra-light reel (the 20 is a micro-light) any rod longer 5.5' and the outfit will be tip-heavy and unbalanced. It is perfect for a 5' to 5.5 foot rod and 4lb mono, or 10lb braid. For that reel try and find a little stiffer 5' rod like a falcon, or Kunnan, they are more like a light action as opposed to a ultra light.

I would get the size 30 Pflueger and a 6' rod. The size 30 reel handles 4, and 6lb line like a dream.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast