PDA

View Full Version : No memory line

dr crappie
10-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Ok got a crappie max tight line reel on an 11 ' bnm pole I have tried just about every line brand on the market including braid braid does not get coils but it raps the tip terrible I like a hi-vise line I can not find line that does not coil up and then start rapping around the tip it starts getting twists even between the eyes I don't know if the reel has to small of a spool but it is extremely light to use as my shoulder is bad any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks

firefly2061
10-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Same here. I have read good things about Berkeley nanofil and fireline. I will be trying this myself soon. Power pro wrapped my tips terribly. Mono gets twist and coils. Maybe dynamite will solve our problems.

Sent from my XT1585 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

dr crappie
10-11-2017, 06:00 PM
Have tried fire line it is no better gamma is the best I've found but still not very good

firefly2061
10-11-2017, 06:08 PM
Dynamite?

Sent from my XT1585 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Spaceman
10-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Lots of line preferences.

I have good luck with Sufix Elite. It is mono...all mono will have some memory. I use it predominantly on 30 size spinning reels...but also on smaller spools. One thing I believe works is spooling the line then go in the backyard, pull all the line, attach nothing to the end of the line, then use something like a wet rag to apply slight pressure while reeling the line back in. This helps with removing twists that can present casting challenges.

I realize you asked about 'no memory'. Hope this is helpful info, and good luck.

Crestliner08
10-11-2017, 06:13 PM
I do not have any 11' rods, but I have both 9' and 7' B n' Ms. The shorter rod casts the way any normal spinning rod would be expected to, but it became a little more challenging for me with the longer rods. I found the key to be when you make the cast, it is imperative that you do NOT try to "force" the cast. By that I mean, let the rod load on the back swing, similar to the way fly fishermen load their casts. Then go forward with the rod. It actually takes less effort to cast the longer rods this way, than the shorter ones, in my experience.

Now as far as ling goes, I've been using Fireline Crystal on a half dozen rigs for the last 6 or 7 seasons. I really enjoy using this line. The Crystal version is hi-vis as far as I'm concerned - it very white! And I use a 6' fluorocarbon leader attached to the main line with the Alberto knot. The pound tests I use is of no concern and are actually laughed at by many, because we fish mainly open water, with little brush or other hazards to contend with. I believe you could use this line in just about any pound test you need for your conditions.

Finally, remember what I said about the tip wrapping with braid. You'll get that EVERY time you try to force a cast, I guarantee! Hope this helps.

dr crappie
10-11-2017, 06:18 PM
I do not cast I mainly dip trees so there is usually only 15' to 20' of line out at all times but it is still a problem even with that little of line out

skeetbum
10-11-2017, 07:35 PM
As you dip and catch a fish, the drag slips a little, am I right? In doing that the line has just gotten some twist introduced as the line twisted on and rolled off without any twist. I also fought twist when deep jigging in the winter in TN, fishing 50'+ deep water. The only way I made my life any easier was to buy a lightweight bait cast reel that the line rolled off and on, regardless of drag. Went so far as to get one left and one right so I could fish with one in each hand. I also have to say that this wasn't my idea. A friend and member by the name of Fishawk showed me how this was done. Worked flawlessly, but it does come with a little of a learning curve. Give it a try and I think it may be just what you're looking for.

doggone
10-11-2017, 09:36 PM
have you ever tried putting a heavy split shot up the line a couple ft from your jig? You can fish as small of a head as you want . Seems like when I drop the tip faster than the jig sinks this can happen. Also after a missed strike you will drop the tip to fast at times.

you do want to get the twist out on occasion...on the water I take off everything and drag it behind the boat for a little ways and reel it back in.

I have found Trilene smooth casting to be one of the more manageable lines

The split shot may effect the strike ratio at times if they are hitting it as it drops into them...but seems like biggest part of the time if I have the right jig on they don't mind. I do like a little extra weight when I am vertical when I am pretty sure it's not keeping them from biting.

dr crappie
10-12-2017, 06:55 AM
I use a 1/4 ounce jug hesd most of the time you would think that would be more than heavy enough but will try the split **** with a smaller jig head

Cray
10-12-2017, 08:59 AM
I bet at times your stripping line with bail closed and loose drag. If so that introduces a lot of line twist. If you just dip and want-need a light reel thing I would look at one of those eagle claw or similar in line ice reels. Most reviews I have seen say they have a pretty good drag and retrieve ratio. I have a couple of Solo Wally marshal reels I like for those reasons,but I seldom dip with more than 6-8 ft of line out. If I fished deeper that larger spool in line would be my choice.

silverside
10-12-2017, 11:00 AM
I switched to Sufix 832 camo line. Problem solved on my 12' B&M.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

"G"
10-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Are you just verticle jig fishing with this ? Or are you casting ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Speck Detector
10-12-2017, 06:08 PM
You might try spooling new mono with spool on ground & label facing up, after line is with in a 1/8" from reel's rim, hook the line on the side tab if you have one or rubber band line taught to reel diameter & soak in hot water from sink 115F-120F for 10 minutes & memory should adjust from line spool size to reel size, has worked for me with Vicious hi-vis line.

CrappiePappy
10-12-2017, 07:17 PM
There's really no such thing as "no memory" line, if you're talking about mono. But, you can "lessen" the memory coils that a spinning reel will impart to mono ... if not used often, or even between uses. Take it outside & tie the tag end to something stationary - open bail and walk off 60 or 70ft - close bail and pull rod/reel back until line stretch is almost at max - hold it there for 5-10sec. then move the rod/reel back towards the tied end, taking all the pressure off the line - repeat 1-2 more times. Cut the line loose from the tied end - put pressure on the incoming line, right in front of the reel, with your finger & thumb, as you reel the loose line back onto the reel. The "stretching" will straighten out the line, while the loose line dragging thru the grass will untwist the coils present in that 60-70ft of line length ... and reeling the line back on under finger/thumb pressure will wrap the line smooth & tight around the reel spool, which will lessen the chance of loose line loops that cause line snarls (line coming off the reel in tangles) and lengthen your cast ... or in your case, allow the jig to drop easily.

You get braid looped over your rod tip because the motion of the rod tip is faster than the reaction of the braid to that movement. Braid is limp, so when you drop your rod tip down quickly ... the jig doesn't keep the braid taught, allowing it to go limp at the tip and possibly form a loop ... then when you raise your rod tip back up quickly, the rod tip can go thru that loop ... and there you are :Doh: tip wrapped. You generally won't get tip wrapped with braid, if you move the rod tip slowly up/down while keeping the jig on a taught line ... but, if you "jig" with quick jerks of the rod tip, even a few inches, you may get tip wrapped every so often. Wet braid is very "clingy" and will stick to things it comes in contact with ... so you don't even have to produce a loop at the rod tip to get the braid over the rod tip. It can simply just get laid over the rod tip by the motion of your jigging, and it will cling to the rod tip to where you'll have to turn the rod completely around to get it back right. That's better/easier than when it gets the loop and wraps ... because then you have to bring the rod tip close enough to you to remove the wrap by hand.

Ketchn
10-13-2017, 05:45 AM
You won’t stop twist on mono best I can tell , I just simply pull out about what I plan to use depth wise and stretch the heck out of it myself ...my 2 cents

skeetbum
10-14-2017, 04:27 AM
You might look into a leader straightener used in fly fishing. When vertical jigging with light jigs, contact is a must. Over 1/16 it doesn't matter.

JimmyCricket
10-14-2017, 09:01 AM
For a long time I was putting line on my spinning reels incorrectly and creating twist. You want to lay the spool flat on the floor and have the line coming off the spool in a counter-clock-wise direction. Most of the time that will be label up, but not always so be sure and check. A bigger spinning reel does seem to have less issues than a small reel. Also make sure your reel is rated for the size line you are using. They usually list three sizes on the reel spool, i would want the line size i planned to use to be the first listing or no more than the middle listed number. Example if you your reel says 2, 4, and 6, then to me that is a 2-4 LB. test reel at best. I like a 2000-3000 size reel it will handle 6-8LB much better than a reel that is mainly rated for 4LB. I have a bad shoulder too, but using too light of a reel and having to fight to keep your rod tip up all the time is what really wears on you...not the weight of the reel. To me, i have found a little bigger reel helps to balance the rod and not make it so tip heavy. Personally I disagree with folks that think putting a micro reel on a 10 foot pole will somehow make the pole easier to hold. Sorry didnt mean to go off topic...back to line twist, another tip (hardest of all to do) is don't reel when you hear your drag slipping, that will surely put twist in your line. Let the rod and drag fight the fish, and when drag stops slipping then go back to reeling. Hope you found something useful in my ramble...good luck

skiptomylu
10-14-2017, 09:28 AM
Think if I was having that much trouble doing your kind of fishing, maybe it would be time for me to use a casting reel in place of a spinning reel. Then you shouldn't have that issue.

Skip

firefly2061
10-14-2017, 12:24 PM
If I used a casting reel I would have such a bird's nest that I might as well do one cast and change reels. I use my rods alot for mutliple species. I cast a lot for perchand then use them for slow trolling for Crappie

CrappiePappy
10-14-2017, 03:12 PM
If I used a casting reel I would have such a bird's nest that I might as well do one cast and change reels. I use my rods alot for mutliple species. I cast a lot for perchand then use them for slow trolling for Crappie

I think the reference to using a baitcast reel was towards "jigging" techniques & line twist, rather than using them to "cast" light lures.

IMHO ... if you're not casting 1/8 to 1/4oz or heavier lures with a baitcast reel, then you better be VERY PROFICIENT with their use ... or else you're going to be picking out "professional overruns" and/or re-spooling line quite often. :banghead

Spaceman
10-14-2017, 07:01 PM
Dr crappie: This doesn't seem to be a line memory issue. A flipping technique is something you may want to try for vertical fishing:

Loosen your drag a bit. Hold your rod at 45 degrees or higher. Pull out an approximate desired length of line. Grab your line between your reel and 1st eye. Extend your arm out to the side pulling your jig close to the rod tip. Extend your rod to the location you wish to target. Gently control your jig descent with the line in your fingers. Let go of the line between the reel and first eye. You can reverse the technique to pull you jig up.

I do this often when I want to target a very specific spot in heavy brush/laydowns. Hope This helps and best of luck.