Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No memory line

Post Thanks / Like

Angry No memory line

Ok got a crappie max tight line reel on an 11 ' bnm pole I have tried just about every line brand on the market including braid braid does not get coils but it raps the tip terrible I like a hi-vise line I can not find line that does not coil up and then start rapping around the tip it starts getting twists even between the eyes I don't know if the reel has to small of a spool but it is extremely light to use as my shoulder is bad any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Same here. I have read good things about Berkeley nanofil and fireline. I will be trying this myself soon. Power pro wrapped my tips terribly. Mono gets twist and coils. Maybe dynamite will solve our problems.

Sent from my XT1585 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Have tried fire line it is no better gamma is the best I've found but still not very good

Post Thanks / Like

Dynamite?

Sent from my XT1585 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes dr crappie LIKED above post

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of line preferences.

I have good luck with Sufix Elite. It is mono...all mono will have some memory. I use it predominantly on 30 size spinning reels...but also on smaller spools. One thing I believe works is spooling the line then go in the backyard, pull all the line, attach nothing to the end of the line, then use something like a wet rag to apply slight pressure while reeling the line back in. This helps with removing twists that can present casting challenges.

I realize you asked about 'no memory'. Hope this is helpful info, and good luck.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!
    Likes dr crappie, XBASSER, pineplace, Mosquitopat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I do not have any 11' rods, but I have both 9' and 7' B n' Ms. The shorter rod casts the way any normal spinning rod would be expected to, but it became a little more challenging for me with the longer rods. I found the key to be when you make the cast, it is imperative that you do NOT try to "force" the cast. By that I mean, let the rod load on the back swing, similar to the way fly fishermen load their casts. Then go forward with the rod. It actually takes less effort to cast the longer rods this way, than the shorter ones, in my experience.

Now as far as ling goes, I've been using Fireline Crystal on a half dozen rigs for the last 6 or 7 seasons. I really enjoy using this line. The Crystal version is hi-vis as far as I'm concerned - it very white! And I use a 6' fluorocarbon leader attached to the main line with the Alberto knot. The pound tests I use is of no concern and are actually laughed at by many, because we fish mainly open water, with little brush or other hazards to contend with. I believe you could use this line in just about any pound test you need for your conditions.

Finally, remember what I said about the tip wrapping with braid. You'll get that EVERY time you try to force a cast, I guarantee! Hope this helps.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I do not cast I mainly dip trees so there is usually only 15' to 20' of line out at all times but it is still a problem even with that little of line out

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

As you dip and catch a fish, the drag slips a little, am I right? In doing that the line has just gotten some twist introduced as the line twisted on and rolled off without any twist. I also fought twist when deep jigging in the winter in TN, fishing 50'+ deep water. The only way I made my life any easier was to buy a lightweight bait cast reel that the line rolled off and on, regardless of drag. Went so far as to get one left and one right so I could fish with one in each hand. I also have to say that this wasn't my idea. A friend and member by the name of Fishawk showed me how this was done. Worked flawlessly, but it does come with a little of a learning curve. Give it a try and I think it may be just what you're looking for.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

have you ever tried putting a heavy split shot up the line a couple ft from your jig? You can fish as small of a head as you want . Seems like when I drop the tip faster than the jig sinks this can happen. Also after a missed strike you will drop the tip to fast at times.

you do want to get the twist out on occasion...on the water I take off everything and drag it behind the boat for a little ways and reel it back in.

I have found Trilene smooth casting to be one of the more manageable lines

The split shot may effect the strike ratio at times if they are hitting it as it drops into them...but seems like biggest part of the time if I have the right jig on they don't mind. I do like a little extra weight when I am vertical when I am pretty sure it's not keeping them from biting.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 1/4 ounce jug hesd most of the time you would think that would be more than heavy enough but will try the split **** with a smaller jig head

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast