Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting carpet on aluminum boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Putting carpet on aluminum boat

I would like to put some carpet on my boat. Feel good about everything but the fact that it is an alumacraft and the decks and floor have the rough surface in the paint. Im afraid it will not glue down good enough for me. Summer time in Eastern NC the boat will burn your feet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I've got rubber flooring and carpet in my boat. I prefer the rubber over the carpet on any day it is under 80. It is so much easier to keep clean and hose out. Nevertheless, you could install whatever with snaps, and not worry about glue.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Glue will work. I used carpet glue from Lowe’s made for marine carpet and the weather, as they sell it in the carpet section. Just clean the surface with soap and water and make sure it’s dry. It will stick forever. My boat is a G3 1648 and I didn’t wash it down, just vacuumed and spread the glue and stuck the Marine grade carpet down and in the hot sun, it was dry in a few hrs. It’s been in the boat now 2 years. I power wash it every now and then also.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I was worried that the rough surface would not allow enough surface contact. How about the edges? Did you cut the lids on any compartments even on the edge or roll them under the edges? I was thinking about drilling out the pop rivets on my kids wrap the lid then remount them. Any thoughts. I wouldn't worry about it but my wife loves to fish and she has to be in her bikini in the summer with no shoes. Plus it does get hot from radiating the heat back on you when the breeze dies

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I cut around my lid. It you can try wrapping one if the carpet isn’t too thick. I used a trowel with serrated edge to apply the glue and a piece of 3” pvc pipe to roll the bubbles out of the carpet as I applied it and it doesn’t have to be a long piece to work also using your hands to smooth it out and remember do sections at a time as the glue is put on thin and will dry quickly if it’s hot outside. It’s not a hard thing to do if you take your time and do it in sections.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to see some before and after pictures of your DIY aluminum boat carpet job. I will be looking forward to seeing your fishing reports and pictures also.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Will be glad to show you pictures if I ever get time to go. 3 more years of service and I can become a full-time crappie chaser.

Likes scrat LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When I did interiors for correct Craft we used weldwood contact cement. Laid it on thick and pressed the carpet down while the glue was still wet. They went years without incident.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Is the cost for that much more than standard outdoor carpet glue from Lowes?

Post Thanks / Like

I did a complete re carpet job on my Polar Craft. I used spray carpet glue, a rolling pin. Sprayed both the carpet and the boat sections. I used a low grade carpet from Home Depot, and its about ready for a re carpet again. I fish a lot so the boat gets a lot of use. And yes I did the compartments. I will say this the carpet I used when I went to fasten down things and the carpet ran. I had to pre-cut before drilling and such, I used about 14 feet of carpet. (12x14)
    dave
    in currituck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast