Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What determines "fall" fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What determines "fall" fishing?

I have been reading alot about fall patterns an tips. Mostly being deep fish will move shallow to follow baitfish, hard to catch cause they are moving alot so on so fourth. So after reading these things an it cooling down some what i took my yak up the one of the three creeks that dosent dry out during summer. I live in texas an fish lake whitney for all the tx fishermen. I didnt catch anything but a sun burn, fished in thick brush lined on river channel 12ft-6ft break. Not even a bass.

That being said all my instincts said fish like its summer, mainly being the water went from 92-95 to 79-84 on a hot day in early october. Im not sure if that is enough of a drop in water temp for them to move. Or if the time changing in length of day is what moves them.
    When does one start considering fall fishing methods because its probably gonna be awhile for it to be jacket weather, then again its tx... Haha

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Lake Austin, LBJ, and Long. Water is not cool enough yet, in my opinion, to have them make a move. I think it will have to drop 5-8 degrees more for that. I am finding them on brush in 20 fow with brush tops at 10-12 fow. Thank the Lord you will have a long time until having to bundle up like an Eskimo to fish (smile).

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com
    Likes Crappiedayz, Nunk 2 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

About the 6th college football game!😀
    Likes Crappiedayz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I think when water temp. drops to around mid to 70° and cooler(this is surface water temps). Days also getting shorter so less sunlight to warm the water. Wind also helps to cool the water down. I am thinking about the middle of October around the new moon(Oct.19) will be very productive. The shad will start moving into shallower water. Then the crappie will school around chasing the shad fatten up for the winter. This is when they will be easier to catch as I have seen them in past years.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Dhaire: thats what i was feeling, still to hot for them. I grew up fishing for bass an fished bass champs tournament trail religiously i love lbj an lake travis cant imagine what crappie are lurking in those waters haha. an thats another thing about tx i dont think i wore a heavy coat last year for more than 2 weeks an that was in February

scrat: 60s-70s is what i was thinking aswell but my first year fishing for only crappie im still a little confused on how they differ from black bass, which is not that much from what i keep learning. I bet your not far off calling oct.19 i keep saying first november but tx has its ways of making a weather reporter look like a fool hahaa
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    It is if you fish with me very often (I laughed, but I've done the same or similar things )
    Likes scrat, dhaire, Crappiedayz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha oh yea that my fall fishing trips

Post Thanks / Like

Have you been on that lake very long ? Second question ...what creek.....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Answer the riddle please ....lol ....I might know something ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast