HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough Day

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rough Day

I typically try to hit a spot or 3 a day , the way to stay on the crappie isn't a big secret , keep a jig in the water in lots of spots and you will find them at one of those spots sooner or later . Knowing your local waters and the seasonal travels is important and knowing when to visit them is the key .
    I lost my lil boat a while back and am basically stuck on the bank , with the exception of my buds and invites here and there I have become a mostly off the bank type of crappie angler these days .
    But don't fear the bank is what I have to say about that and no worries in those heavily fished areas in a large metroplex type of scenario . Some would say I am the king of the dinks and I have heard those words before and it bothers me none . Those same anglers saying that have advantages that are not in my bag of tricks and are not comparing apples to apples .
    So here we go , I went to spot one ....one bite and it was a drum that bent my jig and bit my plastic in half .
    Time to try spot two , 2 pitches no bites , third pitch thump and up comes a channel cat
    Some would say well not today I suppose and toss in the towel due to the rough fish ketchn that has taken place up to this point , I don't give up easily though and continue at spot two a bit longer .
    Spot two just wasn't on either and I finally got a few little pecks and moved the jig away from the spot thinking it was a bluegill , the rod loads up and the fight gets super serious right quickly . Low and behold up comes a super thick really nice black crappie close to the 2 lb. mark .
    So I am pretty happy and at least i didn't get skunked is my thought and never got another bite there . Back to work I go lunch break is over and I bask in the glory of landing such a beautiful fish on a public pay dock.
    Work ends and on the way home I see the catfisherman isn't under one of the bridges I like to hit sometimes , so I stop for a quick 30 minutes just to make sure the crappie are not there either ....
    I take a few floats and take the walk and begin to pitch , nothing happening and then I get a slight peck , set the hook and up comes a crappie . Then a few pitches later a similar few pecks and up comes a slightly larger crappie . I move upstream a bit because I quit getting bit and a few pitches later the float goes down super hard and fast ......up comes a pretty nice crappie this time and things are beginning to not look so rough
    Well about 3 or 4 pitches later the float does the same thing and is gone in a flash and fight begins and then up comes a jim dandy white crappie close to 2 lbs again !
    So you can see that perseverance pays off and you can prevail if you keep focused on the task at hand, home I went with a smile and few photos and YES all the fish, rough or not went back in the water to hopefully make some other persons day .
    stay tuned but don't stay thirsty yawl ....
    p.s. one lil bass wanted in as the last fish of the day ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes S10CHEVY, scrat, hdhntr, ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Both crappie would probably be lake records in Lake Austin. Good job.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

They are being pretty finicky around these parts for me. Way to stick with it!

Post Thanks / Like

Did you say persistence..... you know you better have that or you will be disappointed a rather high percentage of your trips.... way to go bro...I know you got what it takes to get those crappy in hand boat or no boat..... very nice write up by the way.....

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I call catching a seafood platter.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Nice variety of fish. Thanks for sharing the report and pictures.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    I typically try to hit a spot or 3 a day , the way to stay on the crappie isn't a big secret , keep a jig in the water in lots of spots and you will find them at one of those spots sooner or later . Knowing your local waters and the seasonal travels is important and knowing when to visit them is the key .
    I lost my lil boat a while back and am basically stuck on the bank , with the exception of my buds and invites here and there I have become a mostly off the bank type of crappie angler these days .
    But don't fear the bank is what I have to say about that and no worries in those heavily fished areas in a large metroplex type of scenario . Some would say I am the king of the dinks and I have heard those words before and it bothers me none . Those same anglers saying that have advantages that are not in my bag of tricks and are not comparing apples to apples .
    So here we go , I went to spot one ....one bite and it was a drum that bent my jig and bit my plastic in half .
    Time to try spot two , 2 pitches no bites , third pitch thump and up comes a channel cat
    Some would say well not today I suppose and toss in the towel due to the rough fish ketchn that has taken place up to this point , I don't give up easily though and continue at spot two a bit longer .
    Spot two just wasn't on either and I finally got a few little pecks and moved the jig away from the spot thinking it was a bluegill , the rod loads up and the fight gets super serious right quickly . Low and behold up comes a super thick really nice black crappie close to the 2 lb. mark .
    So I am pretty happy and at least i didn't get skunked is my thought and never got another bite there . Back to work I go lunch break is over and I bask in the glory of landing such a beautiful fish on a public pay dock.
    Work ends and on the way home I see the catfisherman isn't under one of the bridges I like to hit sometimes , so I stop for a quick 30 minutes just to make sure the crappie are not there either ....
    I take a few floats and take the walk and begin to pitch , nothing happening and then I get a slight peck , set the hook and up comes a crappie . Then a few pitches later a similar few pecks and up comes a slightly larger crappie . I move upstream a bit because I quit getting bit and a few pitches later the float goes down super hard and fast ......up comes a pretty nice crappie this time and things are beginning to not look so rough
    Well about 3 or 4 pitches later the float does the same thing and is gone in a flash and fight begins and then up comes a jim dandy white crappie close to 2 lbs again !
    So you can see that perseverance pays off and you can prevail if you keep focused on the task at hand, home I went with a smile and few photos and YES all the fish, rough or not went back in the water to hopefully make some other persons day .
    stay tuned but don't stay thirsty yawl ....
    p.s. one lil bass wanted in as the last fish of the day ....
    What kind of jig body is that? I like the looks of it!

Post Thanks / Like

Ketchn I didn't know you was a drummer boy lol. Nice job, them drum actually taste pretty good when there small.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Way to stay at it,nice catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhaire View Post
    Both crappie would probably be lake records in Lake Austin. Good job.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com
    The lake records at the 2 spots involved are around a quarter pound or more higher my friend ,but to be sure they were nice large crappie specimens considering the situations involved . The dock the black came off is heavily fished and the way I managed to ketch it is a entire other story ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast