HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sickle hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sickle hooks

Can they be annealed or is there another way to make them soft enough to bend a little? I broke off at least 7 or 8 times yesterday while fishing tree tops. Once they got stuck there was no saving them with 4 lb test line. I've had pretty good luck pulling off hang ups while using light wire hooks. I wish I hadn't gone on a buying spree and stocked up on a couple hundred sickle hook jig heads before trying them out a little more.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's why I stopped using them. I crush down the barbs down on all my hooks, as I am a CPR crappie angler. I break about every 3rd. or 4th. hook point doing this, so had to resort to other hooks instead.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Herewego LIKED above post
    Thanks FurFlyin, djesse11 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Send em to me Sickle hooks

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes Blackhawk19 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use these lite-wire hooks, he also makes a sickle hook which is pretty lite.

Litewire Hooks

Thanks FurFlyin thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ozarks ranger View Post
    Send em to me Sickle hooks

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    I'll be glad to, for a small nominal fee.

litewirehooker is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I send out lots of hooks and don't recognize by name on CC but if you ordered them from me just let me know and I will swap them out.
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You could try it...you will have to hold the head in water while you heat the hook red hot with a fine point torch. I have never tried it. But I do a lot of braze welding...and any copper we heat above about 1000 degrees is annealed. But depending on the bronze composition of the hook they may or may not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by litewirehooker View Post
    I send out lots of hooks and don't recognize by name on CC but if you ordered them from me just let me know and I will swap them out.
    I didn't order them from you, but I will order some replacements from you.

EDIT: I ordered these before I knew anyone on C.com sold this stuff. I have nothing against the guy that I bought them from. It's not his fault. I didn't mean my post pre-edit to sound like I meant it that way. I bought them off ebay and the seller has been great to work with and he might take them back if I asked, but it's not his fault I bought them, nor would it be your fault if I bought them from you. They're fine for dock shooting, or vertical jigging but they aren't too tree limb friendly when fishing tree tops...
    Likes litewirehooker, Brimfisher, chimneyman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doggone View Post
    You could try it...you will have to hold the head in water while you heat the hook red hot with a fine point torch. I have never tried it. But I do a lot of braze welding...and any copper we heat above about 1000 degrees is annealed. But depending on the bronze composition of the hook they may or may not.
    I guess I'll give it a whirl and see how it turns out. I'll post the results tomorrow. I have a little micro torch at the shop that I use for soldering when wiring lights. I'll give that a try.
    Likes bwest90 LIKED above post
    Thanks dhaire thanked you for this post

litewirehooker is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I heated the gold hooks for several years. Works OK but often they will break. But it does make them bend little better
    With 4 pound test line.....you will still loose a lot of hooks.
    http://litewirehooks.com/
    [email protected]
    Every day you do not fish will be one day less you have to fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast