HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lowering front deck, HELP!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowering front deck, HELP!!!

Opinions please. Im thinking/ hoping i can get away with laying my deck on top of some foam and fastening it down with this 1inch square. I think with the battery and fasteners should hold. The foam should keep it from flexing.

Your thoughts please.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

If it is not closed cell foam, it will absorb water overtime unless encapsulated.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion is go over to TinBoats.com. Look through there and see what others have done. Lots of boats like yours been modified with lots of pictures. Like fish said, over time that foam is going to absorb a lot of water.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    If it is not closed cell foam, it will absorb water overtime unless encapsulated.
    Styro foam melts away with gasoline.

Monk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, guess in need to pull out the saw

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

you can go get some cedar 2 x 6's or 2 x 4's and cut them to span the boat hull at the right height at three places or so and it will support the floor. Your going to lay them flat..the opposite of what you would normally do...but the cedar is real strong and the short span they will not be springy. The cedar will last a long time and it does not react with aluminum like treated lumber. The tricky part is cutting the ends to match the contour of the side of the boat exactly so they support properly and don't put stress on the hull in small spots.Take your time and use a cheap 2 x first to get the hang of it. I bought the last ones I used for 20 bucks for 10 footer I think at Lowes. You can paint or stain them for extra protection to water but they should last indefinitely. If you're really creative you can put a thick piece of rubber between the end of the board and the hull.
    Likes mighty, "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Places like Tractor Supply has a thick Rubber Pad for Horse trailers. 4 or 8 foot lengths 4 feet wide... it takes all the noise you can make. That loose crappie flopping in the bottom of the boat don't make any noise
    Thanks mighty thanked you for this post