Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite Rod/Reel/Line/bait combo?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is your favorite Rod/Reel/Line/bait combo?

This is my first post on the Crappie forum, so I want to introduce myself as well. I grew up on a farm mainly fishing Bass from the farm pond shores. I spent all of my time before I was old enough to drive a tractor without supervision, I would drive the 4 wheeler to the pond every day. As I grew older and became busy with helping on the farm and sports, fishing became a rare occasion. My family has been at MAC's cove at the Thomas Hill Reservoir in Missouri for about 17 years. I now have two daughters of my own and my Father decided that we needed to buy a fishing boat for family time out on the water.

I had never caught a Crappie in my life until this summer. Thomas Hill has a lot of Crappie and I really got into Crappie fishing. Since I started fishing when it was in the high 90s, and Thomas Hill is a lake to cool a coal power plant so the water is abnormally hot compared to most bodies of water. This lake is also very murky. I have heard many different tips/tricks from research on the web and talking to the lake elders. I would like to know what everyone's go to jig/rig setup is and why they like it.

Here is my favorite go to setup.

9" Shakespear Crappie Hunter Rod
    Flueger President reel (swapped out the combo reel)
    10lb PowerPro braided line
    1/16th oz Jig head (black/chartreuse)
    Cabelas Brand tube jig (black/chartreuse)
    Crappie Nibbles (These things are amazing)

I have read many different articles on the web on braided line, and I had switched to mono as people always told me that crappie can see the line. However, I was always fishing in brush piles and was constantly getting hung and breaking lines. I switched back to braided line and have not seen a drop in success. I have been able to bend the hook unless a fish wraps me around a branch. Also, the braided line does seem to be much more sensitive.

I am looking forward to the communities replies to expand my fishing knowledge.
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

"9" Shakespear Crappie Hunter Rod"
    That is one short rod ! LOL My standard rods are 5' 6" - 6', ultra light or light action (extremely important !).
    I use cheap spinning and spincast reels with a good
    retrieve ratio. Both being zero anti-reverse. Too small a diameter spool and too low a gear ratio, IMO, loses too many fish.

Braid - fine
    1/16 oz unpainted jig heads allow fish to concentrate on the lure and not a bright paint job. Painted heads and thick diameter line cause distractions
    Whether fish see the line or not is not important - I've caught as many fish on bright fluorocarbon or mono as clear. Also, at times fish that are not aggressive chasers or biters, require the downsizing of soft plastic lures and thereby using a light jig head with shorter hook. 1/32 oz jigs may be the ticket as well as allowing a slower fall and retrieve rate when fish are less aggressive.

If you have confidence in a lure design and it catches fish, stay with it. Hundreds of lures are capable of catching pan fish or any other. As for myself, I rarely use curl tail grubs preferring thin straight tails that I pour myself and n
    ever use straight black when it comes to fishing grubs. I don't even like black fur or feather jigs unless tipped with a bright trailer. Just my own personal preference and superstition.

Post Thanks / Like

smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard! You've certainly found the best place for both information and quality people. Personally, I like B n' M rods. I have their Sam Heaton's Super Sensitive in 7' and 9'. Outstanding value in quality rods. All my crappie rods are now balanced with Pflueger Presidents. All are filled with braid & fluorocarbon leaders.

Baits are too numerous to mention! I've caught crappie on just about everything. My most productive "style" of plastics being the Bobby Garland Baby Shads (straight tails) with a close runner up being the Charlie Brewer Slider Grubs. Colors vary according to the mood of the fish.

Most times I'm using either the 1/16 oz. or the 1/8 oz. ball head jigs.

Good Luck out there and again Welcome!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My "current" favorites are :

Jig casting - 6'6" ESP PowerLite rod ... Okuma STX20 spinning reel ... 6# test Vicious Panfish Copolymer hi-vis line ... 1/16oz ballhead jig with clear Y guard & #2 Aberdeen hook (custom made weedless jighead) ... blue/chartreuse Strike King Thunder Tube

Roadrunner casting - 6' Ardent med action rod ... Ardent spinning reel (Univ of KY Logo models) ... 6# test Vicious Panfish Copolymer hi-vis line ... 1/16oz marabou Roadrunner (custom tied)

I like them because they do a great job for how I use them. All of the rods/reels/line/baits have a connection with Crappie.com, either bought from members, custom made by members, or gifts from member friends, or through site sponsored gatherings.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite combo has a 2lb + slab hanging on the other end!! What the feeshes want on that day is my favorite!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

7'6 Browning Airstream rod in light action (have 4 of these) Rods are wonderful and can be used for all species
    Flueger President 6930 (have 4 of these paired with above)
    4lb Mr Crappie camo line (going to 10lb braid to floro/mono leader soon)
    1/16 unpainted jighead with red #4 sickle hook
    Bobby Garland - monkey milk or patriot

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from South central Mississippi. I also have the 9' Shakespeare Crappie Hunter Rod it is a real good sensitive rod really good for crappie. Have had good luck lately with 1/16 head and 2" prong tail shad in key lime pie on 8# hi-vis line.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Pa. I also use a 9 ft crappie hunter rod with a bass pro crappie max reel with 4lb bass pro exell line. I use many types of jigs and sizes with white and chartreuse being my favorite colors. I also like using live bait also.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure no pro but 10lb line is pretty stout for my tastes. It will limit your casting distance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast