Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best Crappie Tournament Culling Scale

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Crappie Tournament Culling Scale

Looking for the best digital scale for tournament individuals to cull fish with. Thanks in advance for your advice!
    Take a senior or a kid fishing soon!
    Likes Bigslab11 LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Ttt
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I am curious as well, I have done a fair amount of reading on bass sites and consensus seemed to be without stepping up to pricey certified/calibrated model it was a total crap shoot as far as digital scales went. I am leaning toward just getting a simple culling beam for the few tourneys I fish. Doesn't solve the problem of wanting an accurate weight for a nice fish now and then though.

I have played around with a few digital models I have owned from $20-40 with known weights and my experience is the scales weren't very good. The certified scales mentioned on the bass sites were around $175 if I remember correctly, that is alot of cash but guess it depends how serious you are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Rapala 15 Touch Screen = The Touch Screen Scale adds ease and convenience to weighing and tracking your catch. Large digital scale is packed with features, yet intuitive in use. Displaying weight in lbs./oz., decimal lbs. or kg., easily record and determine the position of current catch in your weight total. Simply hang catch from heavy-duty composite clamp, or included stainless steel hook to view weight. Tap on one of eight storage locations to enter fish into memory and add to total catch weight. Runs up to 400 hours on two AA batteries (not included). Back-up memory retains stored data in battery power is lost. TOURNAMENT MODEL features a 15lb. digital scale, plus an eight-piece culling system that allows easy management of your catch. Quickly record and determine the position of current catch in your weight total. Culling system permits easy identification of fish to be released for maximum total weight. Includes storage bag with sewn in instructions.
    Likes "G", maxwell328 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
    Rapala 15 Touch Screen = The Touch Screen Scale adds ease and convenience to weighing and tracking your catch. Large digital scale is packed with features, yet intuitive in use. Displaying weight in lbs./oz., decimal lbs. or kg., easily record and determine the position of current catch in your weight total. Simply hang catch from heavy-duty composite clamp, or included stainless steel hook to view weight. Tap on one of eight storage locations to enter fish into memory and add to total catch weight. Runs up to 400 hours on two AA batteries (not included). Back-up memory retains stored data in battery power is lost. TOURNAMENT MODEL features a 15lb. digital scale, plus an eight-piece culling system that allows easy management of your catch. Quickly record and determine the position of current catch in your weight total. Culling system permits easy identification of fish to be released for maximum total weight.

Includes storage bag with sewn in instructions.

What he said. I have one to and love it.
    dave
    in currituck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
    Rapala 15 Touch Screen = The Touch Screen Scale adds ease and convenience to weighing and tracking your catch. Large digital scale is packed with features, yet intuitive in use. Displaying weight in lbs./oz., decimal lbs. or kg., easily record and determine the position of current catch in your weight total. Simply hang catch from heavy-duty composite clamp, or included stainless steel hook to view weight. Tap on one of eight storage locations to enter fish into memory and add to total catch weight. Runs up to 400 hours on two AA batteries (not included). Back-up memory retains stored data in battery power is lost. TOURNAMENT MODEL features a 15lb. digital scale, plus an eight-piece culling system that allows easy management of your catch. Quickly record and determine the position of current catch in your weight total. Culling system permits easy identification of fish to be released for maximum total weight. Includes storage bag with sewn in instructions.
    What I use as well, they seem to be a little light but would rather have more than what I thought when the weight is posted. I think consistency is more important than being nuts on, like to be close tho.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

How about a good scale not for tournaments but just to know that is best value for most of us?
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hdhntr View Post
    How about a good scale not for tournaments but just to know that is best value for most of us?
    That was all I was really looking for, all my reading brought me to the conclusion you were just as well off to get the $10 top rated model off Amazon as any of the others unless you were willing to spend big money. The reviews I have read on the Rapala model mentioned have been pretty hit and miss as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I own four different models. I carry three of them while tournament fishing. Of all of them, the most tried, true, and tested one has been my manual (not battery operated) by Berkley. I own a digital Berkley, a digital Rapala, and another one.

I have multiple live wells so I can seperate fish based on the well. I also use a divider when dealing with small fish (like Crappie). If I have 5 fish in the well, the two smallest go on the left. This way I know which one to swap out. Doesn't however help much when dealing with multiple fish being culled.

In Walleye tournaments, we have found that keeping up to our limit is the better option. We don't tag them or put markers in them. We seperate them by livewell and then utilize a culling beam. I just want to ensure I get the 5 biggest fish. Weight only matters on the official scale!

I've sat in the harbor before heading to the dock for weight in and pulled fish out one at a time, culled them, and sent the little ones overboard. It also helps in dealing with deadweight. You can decide whether you want to bring a bigger (dead fish) to the scale and take the weight deduction for deadloss or use a live fish and take no deadloss.

What are you currently using Tommy? It MUST be working pretty good!

Congrats on the last tournament by the way
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"