PDA

View Full Version : Dog Hair is Great for Crappies

rawr215
09-25-2017, 03:30 PM
To my surprise, dog hair can catch a ton of fish! to be exact, crappies! i caught my personal best white crappie in south jersey the other day using Husky fur. I tied these hair on 1/16 oz jig head and it did wonders.

Anyone use dog hair for their crappie fishing arsenal? maybe i should dye it a different color and do some more!

Here is the video of my fishing trip using the dog fur if yall are interested in seeing it in the works! :)

https://youtu.be/2LobAl4cKtA

CrappiePappy
09-25-2017, 04:32 PM
No surprise to me that dog hair would work ... seeing as how the first hair jig I used to catch Crappie was tied with Polar Bear hair .... it was the original "Doll Fly" jig.

And to answer your question : yes, both species of Crappie can & will school together (at times) ... and yes, they can & do crossbreed, creating what is commonly known as a Hybrid Crappie :

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/attachments/arkansas/198791d1428728537-hybrid-crappie-imageuploadedbytapatalk1428728538-508845-jpg

dhaire
09-25-2017, 05:09 PM
Did you have to shoot the dog first (grin)?

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

rawr215
09-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Did you have to shoot the dog first (grin)?
Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

ehh no... these are groomed hair, mainly undercoats.

rawr215
09-25-2017, 05:27 PM
No surprise to me that dog hair would work ... seeing as how the first hair jig I used to catch Crappie was tied with Polar Bear hair .... it was the original "Doll Fly" jig.

And to answer your question : yes, both species of Crappie can & will school together (at times) ... and yes, they can & do crossbreed, creating what is commonly known as a Hybrid Crappie :

wow polar bear hair? that's amazing. thx for letting me know!

gotcha, maybe this lake doesn't have much whites running around or they are hanging out elsewhere. i couldn't find anymore since that one.

Snubby
09-25-2017, 05:50 PM
What you going and throwing them back fer?? :scratchhead

rawr215
09-25-2017, 05:53 PM
What you going and throwing them back fer?? :scratchhead

Catch and release ol! should i do a catch and cook or something for next time? :P

Snubby
09-25-2017, 06:01 PM
Catch and release ol! should i do a catch and cook or something for next time? :P

Lol, do as you wish with em', just figured if you don't eat fish may wanna ask that ole dog that sacrificed his fur for you. My guess be, he take a few of them fish :biggrin

strmwalker
09-25-2017, 06:06 PM

we call that release in grease !!!! :Rofl:biggrin

bandchaser
09-25-2017, 06:39 PM
we call that release in grease !!!! :Rofl:biggrin
Amen! Bayou Canola!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

rawr215
09-25-2017, 09:50 PM
so i should release it in my cooler? then into the grease? gotcha lol!!!!!!!

i don't cook much but we'll see... catch and cook videos been such a craze.. why not

and we groomed the dog! lol it's still living. gotta keep harvesting the fur!

wicklundrh
09-26-2017, 08:11 AM
We used to tie hair jigs for perch (long before the rigs showed up on the store shelves). Simple hooks tied with "white" hair and affixed to a drop shot rig.

One year we didn't have any white hair (not quite sure why). We had a black dock that had a patch of white fur under his chin. He was a good soldier and sat pretty while the barber went to work. Best perch rigs I ever used!

rawr215
09-26-2017, 08:14 AM
We used to tie hair jigs for perch (long before the rigs showed up on the store shelves). Simple hooks tied with "white" hair and affixed to a drop shot rig.

One year we didn't have any white hair (not quite sure why). We had a black dock that had a patch of white fur under his chin. He was a good soldier and sat pretty while the barber went to work. Best perch rigs I ever used!

OOohhh that's a genius idea! i should dropshot them! :O i feel an inspiration for a video now lol

mighty
09-26-2017, 10:20 PM
For some readon that just doesnt sit right. Polar bear hair, ok. Bird feathers ok, but dog hair just doesnt dound right. Anyway, congrats

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

skiptomylu
09-27-2017, 10:40 AM
They even sell Temple Dog Hair, but since e one of the countries that has it is not treating the animals right at all so the fly tyers are not so much for it. I bought some several years ago now and still have not tried it, but looks great and is long! Now when you speak of Polar Bear hair your talking about a supreme material which can only be bought from someone that has the paper work to prove it came into the USA before 1974! It's beautiful stuff that is mostly clear, but just looks White and also has Florescent properties naturally! Here is a quote from an article about it! Polar Bear hair is very special stuff and many fishermen just never knew why the original Doll Fly Jig was as good as it was!

"A Polar bear’s (http://www.earthrangers.com/wildwire/this-just-in/mommy-polar-bears/) coat has two layers of hair: an outer layer, made up of long (5-15cm) guard hairs; and a thick undercoat, made up of shorter hair.

These guard hairs are mostly transparent or clear, but thanks to some special characteristics that work to create cool optical tricks, these hairs appear white. Here are the special characteristics of guard hairs: they are coarse, tapered (gradually come to a point) and have a hollow core filled with air; they are made of a protein called keratin; they have light scattering particles inside them; and have tiny salt particles that sit between each hair.

When the sun’s rays hit off of the Polar bear’s transparent guard hair, some of this light energy travels into the hair and gets trapped. This energy bounces around inside the hollow part of the hair causing a reaction called luminescence (http://www.earthrangers.com/wildwire/help/glossary/#luminescence), which is an emission of light. This happens every time the beam of light makes contact with the side of the hair."

Here is a link to this entire article.... http://www.earthrangers.com/wildwire/risk/polar-bears-have-clear-hair-so-why-do-they-look-white/

JUNGLEJIMJIGS
09-27-2017, 11:48 AM
I've caught crappie on all kinds of hair including dog. Recently tied some up with my son's white shepherd and my yorkshire terrier. Don't think polar bear hair is legal and I don't have any but opposum hair kicks crappie butt.

ET Fish
09-27-2017, 12:18 PM
Back before I changed my ways, I often used "hair of the dog that bit you" to curtail nausea!

skiptomylu
09-27-2017, 12:39 PM
I've caught crappie on all kinds of hair including dog. Recently tied some up with my son's white shepherd and my yorkshire terrier. Don't think polar bear hair is legal and I don't have any but opposum hair kicks crappie butt.

Well it's legal if you buy it from the right place that has documentation. I have some myself that I bought. Just am waiting on the right time to use it, maybe next spring will be the time?

Skip

rawr215
09-28-2017, 08:30 AM
For some readon that just doesnt sit right. Polar bear hair, ok. Bird feathers ok, but dog hair just doesnt dound right. Anyway, congrats

well it's not like i skinned my brother's dog! he got TWO siberian huskies that shed a lot. if we don't groom them (and we do groom them with proper tools and we don't shave them!!!!) the house would be completely full of fur. heck, every 2 days, every nook and cranny of where they run would have ball of fur!

You know them western movies with the blowing ball of hay/grass? well... that's how it is at my parents house but with husky fur LOL

Hope that sits better once you heard it. You can go to his Instagram page and see that he loves his dogs very well (https://www.instagram.com/subawoof)

rawr215
09-28-2017, 08:47 AM
Here is a link to this entire article.... http://www.earthrangers.com/wildwire/risk/polar-bears-have-clear-hair-so-why-do-they-look-white/

thx for sharing, very interesting read about polar bears lol...

skiptomylu
09-28-2017, 10:19 AM
thx for sharing, very interesting read about polar bears lol...

Your welcome! If you take reading a little more, reading up on UV and Florescent colors and the difference it makes and my thinking is if I can make fish see my bait farther away, maybe I get a few more hits?

Skip

rawr215
09-29-2017, 08:46 PM
Your welcome! If you take reading a little more, reading up on UV and Florescent colors and the difference it makes and my thinking is if I can make fish see my bait farther away, maybe I get a few more hits?

Skip

tying lures is new to me so sure! i've been just fishing with plastic grubtails and some minnow type stuff. exploring anything that would help me catch more fish! once again thx!